Logix Designer 5000 distinguish Alarm Definition instances

Dagryl

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with Alarm Definitions. The idea behind is great. I can create an alarm for AOI tag and alarms for each instance of the AOI are created automatically. The problem is that message text for each alarm is the same and I can't find a way to add some dynamic text to describe an instance to the alarm message text.

Right now if 2 of drives are in alarm state list looks like this:
PowerFlex drive fault
PowerFlex drive fault

And I would like to see something like this:

PowerFlex drive M1 fault
PowerFlex drive M2 fault

I know that you can trace the source of the alarm on the HMI, but it's not very intuitive and will be painful for operators.

Does anyone know a solution to that problem?

Do you have any PlantPAx AOIs? You can look inside the code for some of them where they use a technique to have description text. You would still need edit each instance.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have PlantPAx AOIs but if I have to edit each instance what's the point of using Alarm Definitions?

Well, the configuration of each instance is different isn't it? Each alarm would have a different description text too. What am I missing?

If I have to edit each instance of Alarm Definition I can create new Alarm for each instance instead.
IMO I should be able to create alarms like this:
PowerFlex drive M1 fault
PowerFlex drive M2 fault
PowerFlex drive M3 fault
dynamically inside Alarm Definition. I can use some tags in alarm message but it's not possible to use instance name or description.

Where are those alarm descriptions now? In the HMI or PLC? OR did you envision them being created from something else?

I should have mentioned at the beginning that I'm working with PanelView 5000 Graphic Terminal, so alarms are configured only in the PLC.

I should have mentioned at the beginning that I'm working with PanelView 5000 Graphic Terminal, so alarms are configured only in the PLC.
Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I'm using a PanelView 5000 for the first time and am wanting to do something similar.