Logix/FactoryTalk - select tags from dropdown menu on HMI

bgtorque

I am looking to setup a HMI where we can predefine a number of channel alias's and then the user would select the appropriate name to assign it against a module input. We would then log the data with that selected alias name.

We are using GuardLogix processers and Logix5000 V34.

I want to set up screens with buttons for each input (screens based on type of input, i.e temperature, flow, etc). If you press the button against Channel 0 (which is the input 0 on a 5069-IY4 module) you get a list of the relevant alias names (i.e Temperature1, Temperature2, Temperature3) for that particular channel type.

The user might select for Channel1 'Temperature3' and this channel would get logged as 'Temperature3'.

I’m just wondering how this might be best achieved as this would give us a really flexible test system to allow the user to setup the channels depending on where a given sensor was actually measuring?

Any thoughts on the cleanest way to achieve this in both the Logix code (i'm guessing Structured Text might be the way to go) and the FactoryTalk for the HMI (I haven't done dropdown selections before).

Many thanks for any thoughts