Logix / PanelView 5000 "Event", not "Alarm"

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This may be something obvious that I could learn if I sat down to understand the topic in detail with tutorials and manuals. But sometimes it's just faster to ask folks who use the product.

I have a machine system using CompactLogix (the safety version, 1769-L36ERS, firmware 32) and a PanelView 5310 (firmware 9). The alarming system is straightforward: alarms show on the Active Alarm summary when their condition is high, and then show in the Alarm history once their condition goes low again. We do not use any Acknowledgement or Shelving or disabling or other sophisticated features. The Alarming's main purpose is to let me know when something happened inside the machine's self-diagnostic logic.

Alarms always appear twice in the Alarm History; once when they go into the Alarm trigger = True state, and once when they return to normal.

I realize that is conventional, and I can filter the whole Alarm History to show only the In Alarm conditions. But I'm already using the one-condition-at-a-time filter to show only the alarms in a specific Class (in my case, ESTOP, LIGHT_CURTAIN, ENCODER, and USER_INPUT).

In addition, I'm hitting the Alarm History with quite a lot of short events; a few dozen per minute in some cases. That 40,000 entry alarm log is gonna fill up pretty fast, so if I can halve the number of entries it will help.

My question is: is there a way to make the ALMD instruction behave like an "Event", where there is just one entry added to the FTA&E log each time the instruction rung conditions go from False to True, and not when they return from True to False ?