[Logix5000]When making a new tag inside a program, the tag is only local

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've been using Logix5000 for a while, first version 24 and recently version 32 as I had to update for working on the newer CPU modules.

One thing I've noticed that I swear worked differently before is when I create a tag while in a ladder diagram, it will only allow me to make a local tag for whatever program I happen to be editing. Before, I could swear if I made a new tag while editing a program it would be controller wide.

Am I going crazy? Is there a way to change Logix so that when I make a new tag on the fly, it's not local? Thanks for any help!

I don’t use local tags a lot but I think it defaults to your last selection. When you right click or Ctrl W to make your new tag change the scope from local to controller before clicking ok. It should then make your next tag a controller tag as well. I think...

Here is the goofy detail, if you are using CTRL+W to open the window, the default scope depends on where the cursor focus was when you open the window. If a routine has focus (in controller organizer), CTRL+W, it will default to the scope of that routine was in. If your ladder window has focus, it defaults to the last scope that you created a tag in.

I don't know if this "feature" has always existed, or what version it was introduced, I noticed it within the last couple of years. I never went back through versions to test it.

Last edited: