Logix5K FIFO Alternative?

trueninjalo

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I have been working on an alarm tracking routine. I take several bits to get a status of a device and load then into an INT Dev_Stat. When the Dev_Stat = 5 the device is operating properly. When it is not equal to 5 I move it to Dev_Alm[49] via a FIFO. I also wanted the time the error occured so I created a string Time_Stamp and when an alarm occurs I will move the Time_Stamp to Time_Stamp_Alm[49]. I was going to use another FIFO but it seems like a copy would work just as well if I first use:
COP
Source: Time_Stamp_Alm[1]
Dest: Time_Stamp_Alm[0]
Len: 50

Then use
COP
Source: Time_Stamp
Dest: Time_Stamp_Alm[49]
Len: 1
It seems to operate correctly but it seems like this completely negates the need for a FIFO. FIFOs were tricky to get used to so I think I am overlooking something. Attached is a pic of the rungs and the tag data.

Thank you for taking the time.

ALT_FIFO.jpg ALT_FIFO2.jpg