Looking for IS Barrier for a Load Cell Signals

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can someone recommend an Intrinsically safe barrier that can be used with an "ANALOG" load cell on a weigh scale?

Load Cell is rated to be in a hazardous area as long as an intrinsically safe barrier is used (Barrier in the safe area)and properly wired according to code. Wiring according to code is done. Transitioning from hazardous area to the safe area. Now just need an IS barrier in the safe area.

Need IS Barriers for...

5VDC Excitation
+ - Signal
+ - Sense
To and from the load cell.

Weigh scale OEM's ISB's are 6 to 8 months out. Looking for an alternate Load cell compatible ISB vendor that may have ISB's in stock to meet the requirements for NFPA-70 and NEC standards. Can someone recommend what you have used before from a reputable manufacturer?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've used the P&F model recommended by Manglemender and it works well. As long as all you need is a basic weight transmitter with an analog output it does the job.

On other projects I've used a standard weight transmitter along with some intrinsic barriers on the load cell cables. I've used the MTL7700 range with good results, but they do come with some caveats. You need specific models for each pair of wires (Excitation, Sense and Signal) and exactly which ones isn't clear from the documentation. They also have some very specific earthing requirements, and I don't know that they're suitable for all zones.

If your application is simple, I'd probably go with the P&F.

If you need to cut costs or have a specific WTX that you need to use, I'd find your distributor for the MTL series equipment and get some advice from their technical experts to help you spec the right solution.