Losing connections to devices in RSLinx when ethernet connection interrupted

fwilliams83

I am using a VM for my Rockwell software, and have been having a weird issue. Essentially, I configure my devices in RSLinx using the Ethernet driver (VM uses NAT bridging) and can communicate and get online with no worries. However, when I lose the connection (pull out the ethernet cable, drop power to the device etc), it never recovers. I can ping the device from within the VM (obviously once reconnected), but RSLinx doesn't recover the connection in RSWho. My workaround has been to delete the device out of the configuration, then delete the device from the tree in RSWho, and then it seems to automatically detect that it's there and puts it back in as node 254. At this point, I can get online with the device again. I think this is related to VMWare as opposed to RSLinx, but am not sure.

Versions of everything:
VMware Player: 3.1.2
RSLinx Classic Gateway v2.57.00.14 (CPR 9 SR 3)
RSLogix5000: v19.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 3)

Hardware:
ControlLogix L62 v19.52 with EN2T v4.2
CompactLogix L32E v19.11

VM Network Adapter:
Connected = TRUE
Connected at power on = TRUE
Network Connection = NAT

Any ideas on what might be causing this, and how to fix it?

I have this problem all the time, mainly with the 1203-USB, what I do is change the com port selected in the RSLinx driver and then change it back to the correct com port and this seems to work for me, but it will not work with the 1747-UIC because I cannot change the com port in the 1747-UIC driver once I have set it and then could not delete it either, so I shutdown and started RSLinx again, this seemed to fix it.

Alan.

I am using VW with PV1000+ and Kepserv 4.5 - to a TwidoPLC
I found you need to set two I/P addresses, one for the actual PC and another for the VM bridge - so far no problems.

I've had very good luck running VMWare Workstation on a Windows 7 host with XPSP3 as the guest OS where all my RSI products are installed.

My principal difference is that I've set up the networking for Bridged, not NAT.

My XPSP3 guest has a separate IP address from my Win7 host, and I manage the static and dynamic IP addresses separately inside each OS. I never have to touch the VMWare virtual networking.

I connect and disconnect from the automation networks frequently. I just leave my PCs in DHCP mode and let them go to the "alternate configuration" a minute or so after being reconnected to the physical Ethernet link.