M340 CANopen and Woodward easygen

You can get out all electrical and if the easYgen is connected to the engine electronic controller you can usually get oil pressure, water temperature etc. You can also get out all sorts of alarms. I always prefer to use the RP3000 annunciator as well.

With respect to the Schneider-Modbus issue I often use their MCCB bodies and a 5E protection unit so I can extract electrical data. The protection unit even stores maximum and minimum values for all electrical data - great when you are hooked up to gas generators sometimes and can prove that they have run the voltage and frequency too high and locked up your control gear, caused burn outs or whatever. Then there is a small communications unit that plugs into the MCCB for the extraction of data. This is then connected to an interface unit that provides Modbus RTU to my PLC. The interface unit 'reads' the Modbus request from the PLC and auto sets to how you set up your protocol - 19.2, 8, 2, none for example - no programming - great little device. This device will not operate 8, 1, none at all and sits there flashing. Same goes for the interface to the ACBs - same interface.

I was recently working on a job where Citect (now Schneider) were doing the SCADA system. Our interface was serial and they put in another interface module to go from Modbus RTU serial to Modbus TCP. When the guy was setting up the interface with the Schneider software the software did not give the option of changing the number of stop bits at all - only speed and parity. He could not 'read' us at all. I changed my setup in the serial card to 8, 2, none and he read us straight away. Funny thing was he did not understand what I was talking about - fortunately I was aware of the situation from the MCCBs and cottoned on to his problem straight away or we would still be there. Up and running in 2 minutes.

Sorry but I missed this.
The converters between the MCCB protection units and the PLC require 2 stop bits - the software Schneider were using on a site just recently required 2 stop bits - there was no option for changing it - nit sure what it is but a power monitoring product I believe.

EasyGen 3200 & Esenet (ProconX)

Hi

I am nearly finished on a system 5 gens sync to together, break transfer to 5 mains ATyS's all with feeders, load shedding etc controlled via Rockwell PLC.
The customer requested that they would like to connect to all Easygens from the Scada screen, and we got them this ESENET module. First time using and to be honest going to get one for my tool bag. I have the hole system nearly commissioned leaving this to the last minute as usual.
Toolkit connects/identifies 4 easygen ID's fine. But if you place 5 gens on the CAN1 (CanOpen) then you cannot connect to any controller. I have swapped configs, verified it will work with any sequence of only 4 gens out of the 5, lashed in temporay screen cable etc. But the funny thing is they all see each other on the CAN1 and load control/sequence fine.
Has anyone used this device for anymore than 4 Easygen 3200 controllers?? Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks
P.S. : IN the web browser display connecting directly to the Esenet, in the CanOPen info screen it displays SDO ERROR, this changes across controllers as the page refreshes when more than 4 gens are connected on the CanBus.

Last edited:
so when you connect Woodward toolkit software to an easygen via RS232 it only sees 4 out of 5 easygens on the CAN network, with or without the ESENET the module on the CAN load sharing network?

I think the load/control packets get high priority at frequent interval maybe there are too many of them on the CAN network for the SCADA packets as well? How does this work with multiple masters on the CAN load control network?

I took BobB's advice above and left the woodward devices to their own on the CAN network and queried each of them on their modbus ports for SCADA, after banging against an M340 CAN port and not having any success.

When connecting to the EasyGen 3200 direct via the RS232 COM port you can only see and edit the module you are connected to.
What I am doing is using the toolkit software and selecting the Kvaser - proconX ESENET communication method, a popup appears and you enter the IP address assigned to the ESENET.

Toolkit then sees that there is 5 modules with unique ID's on the network and displays identifying beside each once. The prompt for password appears and when entered, an error popup appears as toolkit communications details window is now displaying reconnecting/identifying constantly changes beside each unit ID.

The SCADA is basically just used as an operating system to run the toolkit, and the ESENET/PLC/SCADA are are connected in the ethernet switch.
I am bringing all ModBUS data back over the RS485 directly form easygens to Prosoft card (tried and tested, slow but reliable for non-essential view only).

The whole selling point from woodward on this unit was that it could handle 16 modules via CANopen protocol, being CAN1 for 3200's and the 3500's have the CAN3 which you can use.
I would just like to see if there is any EG3200's out there, more than 4 working and communicating via toolkit with one of these units.🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Now all is good, great piece of kit, makes life alot easier from running up and down stairs...
Not sure what was the matter. Just started to work. The gremlins must have left the building!!