M340 - GTO HMI Comms & TAG Referencing

Hal9000

Hey all just hoping for a little help here.

I would like to add a GTO HMI to an existing M340 PLC system. I understand I need to used Vijeo Designer V6.2 to configure the HMI.

What is the best protocol to use here? The TAGs in the PLC are "free form" type and not specific Modbus addresses (4xxxx etc.).

Can I still use Modbus TCP/IP? or some other protocol and perhaps go via the USB port on the PLC?

Can anyone walk me through the steps as Schneider tech docs are not helping me....

You can use TCP/IP with tags "internal addresses". I think that tags uses same addressing behind than if you use Schneider OPC driver for PC.

For this you need Unity. stu or sta file, then you link this file to HMI project on Vijeo designer and select all the tags you want to HMI.

Disadvantage on this is, that on default setting on Unity project if you modify PLC program then tags gets new inner addresses and HMI lost communication to all tags.
After PLC modification you need to link PLC tags again to HMI project and download also HMI project to panel.

There is setting on unity for inhibit this, but if you change it, then you need to download whole PLC project to PLC.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=101499

I would use the Modbus TCP/ip driver and then set the driver to IEC format so you can use the same adressing format as in the m340. Export the selected variables in unity to XVM file and import theis file in Vijeo designer. This way you will avoid the disadvantage that Lare mentioned above

OK I'm curious, whats a GTO HMI? As a GTO owner I just want to be sure it lives up to the name. And does GTO stand for Gran Turismo Omologato?

Last edited:
It is a schneider touch screen. But i'm sure it goes around corners better than the gto you are referring to. :)