Markem-Imaje 9040 communication

xzen

Lifetime Supporting Member
We use a Markem Imaje Continuous Ink Jet (CIJ) printer model 9040 for a certain product marking. The products are marked with three different text messages: one at each end of the product and a variable type identification message in the middle. For process reasons we have to do this with the same printer. The three messages have different parameters, and are consecutive selected during production run.
We use S7-300 PLC and a CP 340 for ASCII-communication with the printer.
attachment.php

Now, we want to change over product from let's say type A to type B. A part of the setup process is to send a new type identification message (content) from PLC to CIJ. The production line is stopped during change over. For process reasons the last produced object still remains in the machine. Printing of the type message on last object on last run may not be finished printing before change over. And this seems to be a problem.
The printer apparently accepts the new message, answering PLC with an ACK (acknowledge) byte. But when starting the production again, it turns out the message has not changed. It still prints the Type A message.
How can this be checked or fixed? Any masters of Imaje ASCII-protocol?

Hi xzen,
A couple of years has passed by since I was digging into the communication interface of Imaje printers, so I may not be much of help but here we go:
If I understand it correctly you will use the message library of the printer and select one of these messages from the library and make it complete with the help of variable fields?

Have you tried to send the "Request for the number of the active message" (hexcode DBh I think) to see if it changes when you change from message A to message B.

Have you tried to make a stop/start on the printer after you have changed from mess. A to B?

Have you tried the "Print sending command" (hexcode 94h I think)

A little brainstorming to get started.