Master PanelView retreiving MER from other panelviews

moltra

I was told by one of my OEMs that you can take a PanelView Plus 6 and use to as a master Panelview. This panelview would have the capability to connect to the other panelviews on the line and copy the MER so you could see everything from the master panelview.

this would make it a lot easier to maintain the panelviews since, you would only have to make changes to the remote Panelviews and the master would automatically pick up the changes.

Has anyone heard of this?

I have never heard of this.

I can't really see the utility of having a limited-feature limited-storage limited-security device like a PanelView Plus collect runtime files from its peers. You would still be doing your editing and runtime creation from a FactoryTalk View Studio computer.

What exactly do you mean by "see everything from the master PanelView" ? Do you mean that you would actually open the displays from another Runtime file ? Or that you would remotely look at the active display on another terminal ?

PV+6 does have some neat features like VNC and Remote Desktop and FTP, but I'm unfamiliar with the idea of a "master PanelView" managing other terminals.

perhaps you misunderstood.

what we have done is make a program with three of four possible panelview templates inside.

that way, you change the one and all the changes are done for all.

the only catch is to download a file to the master panel view.
then change the master template and a control register for the next one in line and so on.

regards,
james

If you can make a one-size-fits-all application that fits your particular factory and assortment of machines, that's an efficient way to handle development and distribution.

I just don't think there's any features in the PV+ that involve peer-to-peer interaction for propagation or restoration of runtime files.

FactoryTalk AssetCentre can do some disaster-recovery backup for PV+, but that's a server-based database system and it doesn't do deployment.

The reason I would like this is when they designed and build this machine, they made the machine modular for some reason. Currently I have 7 panelviews that control the line. 6 of them only control a small portion of the line. the 7th panelview controls a small section of the line also, but it has the major screens from the other panelviews. This allows an operator to start, stop and control the entire line from one screen instead of running back and forth between the screens.

I talked to the OEM last night and what he had seen at another location was a setup using VNC and remotely connecting to the various panelviews from one location.

IMHO if you need more than 2 HMI's on a machine / line / process then you should be using a server client solution like FT View SE Distributed.

PV units are really not ideal for that kind of setup thats why they make server client solutions.

I agree, I think there is to many displays and to many PLCs. I think I am going to make 2 of the PLCs able to control everything and try to minimize using the others.

i would love to get to 3 PLCs but that is going to take a while. I wish there was a way to take a compactlogix plc and turn it into a remote I/O.