ME Firmware Wizard won't open.

forqnc

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,
Hoping someone can help me out, I've searched the site and the internet, but either their is not much info out there or my search strings suck.
So, I had FactoryTalk ver. 12 on a VM Win 7, but my lack of knowledge trying to get connections to the outside world, led me to move it to my Win 10.
In the process I lost my activation, so I called Rockwell Tech support and they re-activated for me but to ver. 13.
Installed ver. 13 FactoryTalk, activated, everything looking good.
I then downloaded a working project, I needed to update, to my test screen, connected the PLC and my HMI informed me it could not see my Tags. This was a working 90% complete project before having to re-install software.
So after several hours of trying to re-create the communication shortcut, I made a stupid decision to set my HMI to factory defaults, this took it back to ver.9.
Once the screen was re-started I went to open ME Firmware Wizard, my cursor shows the blue disc thingy (thinking) a couple of times then nothing.
I went to the .exe file and tried, same thing, nothing. Opened up FactoryTalk and went to tools\Firmware Upgrade nothing.
The ME Firmware is ver. 12, which is the highest I see on Rockwell Downloads.
Any assistance with this is appreciated, I have reached out to my distributor, and no we do not have Tech Connect.

So I figured out why my working project stopped working, it's the little things when you don't do something often.
I had forgot to check the "Replace RSLinx Communication" when using the transfer Utility, why would you not want that checked as default. :mad:

So now my issue is why ME Firmware Upgrade won't open, still looking.

No, my IT contacted our distributor and we are still no further forward.
Please post a follow up if you find a solution.

I spent a few hours yesterday trying random things. I called Rockwell and they told me they didn't know. The latest patch roll up I had was the August 2023 version (I am on version 13 ME). I installed the September patch roll up and it worked again. I saw there was an October patch roll up on the website as well... Another thing you can try is repairing your FactoryTalk Services Platform in Programs and Features in the Control Panel. If that does not work and you have the latest patch roll up, you might have to uninstall and reinstall your FactoryTalk software.

I spent a few hours yesterday trying random things. I called Rockwell and they told me they didn't know. The latest patch roll up I had was the August 2023 version (I am on version 13 ME). I installed the September patch roll up and it worked again. I saw there was an October patch roll up on the website as well... Another thing you can try is repairing your FactoryTalk Services Platform in Programs and Features in the Control Panel. If that does not work and you have the latest patch roll up, you might have to uninstall and reinstall your FactoryTalk software.

Thanks for the information, I'm also on ME13 and it was after the upgrade that the Firmware update stop working. I'll pass this on to IT and reply back what we find.