ME to SE conversion anomaly with Touchscreen

arkansascontrols

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a FactoryTalk View ME application that was has been converted to an SE application. I installed it under SE Station version 13 and it operates on a 6300T ThinClient and a VersaView Touch Screen Monitor served up by Thinmanager ver 11.2

A few of the Momentary Push-button Objects, specifically ones that require a long press (held for a few seconds) will not work with touch but will work with a mouse. Ultimately I don't want a mouse on this station so I'm trying to understand why I can't maintain a Momentary Push button on the HMI with my finger but I can with my mouse.

To be clear, the input IS working, it just won't maintain with a finger, it will maintain with a mouse. The buttons are instances of global objects.

Has anyone else run into anything similar? I know this application works on a PanelView as an ME application so I can't help but wonder if it doesn't have something to do with it running as SE app.

we had the same issue when going from site edition to machine edition.
not everything converts correctly, we had multiple screen items to correct.
sometimes, pushbuttons and indicators did not even convert.
wish i had better news.
james

We have several machines with B&R industrial PCs with touch screens built in. There was a setting somewhere in the digitizer settings that allowed/blocked long presses on the touchscreen. It showed up as an issue when we had to replace one with a newer model and the operator could use the mouse to hold the jog button but not their finger. I don't know about your hardware, but you might look for that kind of thing as well.

I know this application works on a PanelView as an ME application so I can't help but wonder if it doesn't have something to do with it running as SE app.
As others are suggesting: if it works on a Panelview Plus as an ME application but doesn't work on different hardware as an SE application, there are two different possibilities as to why. The hardware, or the software.

My first idea would be to run up the ME application on that hardware and test. If it works on that hardware as an ME application, the problem is where you think it is. If it displays the same issues as an ME application on that hardware, then more likely the problem is where joseph_e2 and OG suggest it to be.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Although the situation is not resolved I have at least positively identified the issue and wanted to share the official results here in case anyone else has a similar problem.

From the beginning I had assumed it was related to either the Thin Client setup or something in the SE conversion. As it turns out there is a Knowledge Base Article: BF8643 that addresses a known issues with "Constant Touch" on the Versa View Monitors. They only maintain a Momentary Push Button for 2 seconds without a driver update.

Interestingly enough, the fix they recommend is a Windows Driver update for the eGalax Touch Screen driver. The only problem is if you have the Versa View Monitor connected to a Versa View Thin Client, it doesn't run Windows so the driver update has to be done as a module update in Thin Manager. Unfortunately the KB article doesn't address how to find the 'Module' for Thin Manager. So I'm on a hunt for that.

If and when I find the source file for the latest eGalax Driver for Thin Manager I will post a location back to this thread.

Thanks again.

Thanks for posting back with the solution, this will almost certainly help someone in the future.

Let us know if you find the solution to the thin client issue!

Thanks for the help. It definitely is helpful, have to update the driver twice (with reboots) to get the 'enable right click' check box, uncheck it, and the problem goes away.