messaging across IP ranges

Hello there. I have a ControlLogix with an IP address of 10.97.3.52 and a micrologix with an IP of 10.97.1.119. Can I send or receive a message from one PLC to the other with them being in different IP ranges? If so, can someone explain how to do this? Before anyone suggests it, changing the IP addresses is not feasible.

Thanks,

David

Sure but it will depend on your network setup.

If both devices are on the same switch/vlan, one option would be to use subnet masks on each device of 255.255.252.0. This would allow them to communicate w/out issue.

If these 2 networks are routed, You can use a gateway address and router configuration to allow them to talk.

Can you describe your network architecture as it relates to these devices?

Edit: For subnetting, Go here http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/routing-information-protocol-rip/13788-3.html nice little primer on them.

Last edited:
Hello there. I have a ControlLogix with an IP address of 10.97.3.52 and a micrologix with an IP of 10.97.1.119. Can I send or receive a message from one PLC to the other with them being in different IP ranges? If so, can someone explain how to do this? Before anyone suggests it, changing the IP addresses is not feasible.

Thanks,

David

Is it a L8x ControlLogix and if true, are you using the onboard Ethernet port?

Any other ControlLogix CPUs do not have Ethernet ports; they communicate via Ethernet bridges -1756-ENB(2, 3)Ts.

Even if it is a L8x CPU you could add an Ethernet Bridge-1756-ENB(2, 3)T- within the local chassis, address it 10.97.1.xyz and patch it within the MicroLogix subnet.

Obviously, you should be able to use the above posted alternative methods, however, VLANing, Routing and/or expanding the subnets' connectivity pool will introduce another unnecessary networking layer.

1756-ENB(2, 3)T bridges are the dedicated ControLogix LAN Ethernet connectivity devices.

Make sure the gateway is setup in the IP configuration for both PLCs and then configure the MSG as normal.
Note that the x.x.3.x PLC will need a gateway address on its subnet, ie, it cannot use the x.x.1.x gateway address you have listed.

They are on different subnets so the traffic needs to be routed through the default gateway. The router needs to be set up to direct traffic between the networks.

Put your computer onto one of the subnets with the correct mask and gateway. Try to ping the PLC on the other network. If that works, test from the opposite end. If you can ping from both ends then there is no reason why you can't message between them.

As mentioned above you will either need a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0 for both of the PLC's which would technically mean they are on the same network (network range would be 10.97.0.0 - 10.93.3.255), or alternatively a layer 2/3 switch or router to route between the two networks.

As Geoff mentions best place to start would be pinging both PLC's from each of the networks.

P.S. Hey Geoff. On-site in Perth today and just saw your boys rock up and start installing your kit. They work fast! (y)