Messaging from Compactlogix to Barnett Autodialer

Stache

Calling all the AB gurus.

I am doing my first large AB project. I am using RSLogix 5000, but only have ladder logic. I am getting the hang of most of it until this part.

I have a Barnett Engineering LINK Autodialer. It is going to connect to the CompactLogix 32E. The Barnett has a serial and ethernet port. Unfortunately the Barnett does not support Ethernet I/P only modbus TCP. Therefore I'm stuck with the serial port. I can live with this. According to the documentation the Barnett is the master and controls the polling.

Protocols used by the module are:
 Modbus slave
 Modbus master
 Modbus TCP/IP slave
 Modbus TCP/IP master
 Allen-Bradley DF1 Point-to-Point PLC5 master
 Allen-Bradley DF1 Point-to-Point SLC-500 master.

I'm assuming I use a message intruction set up as read, and either the SLC or PLC5 mode. I tried this following the documentation for source address N:10:0 as the first address in the barnett and my destinaion address is Autodialer_INT in the PLC. This is set-up as an interger. I have read the documentation to adjust the value back to a DINT, but first to get the info.

I keep getting an F006 error code on the message instruction.

Any ideas?

Also can you change the message instructions parameters while online?

From what I've read on the Barnett unit, it is the "master", meaning it initiates all the read and write transactions with the controller.

You shouldn't have to use a MSG instruction at all.

All you have to do is create an array tag in the CompactLogix called Autodialer_INT[x], and configure the array tag to represent PLC/SLC data file 10 by using the Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Addresses menu function in RSLogix 5000.

Thanks Ken I would have searched for that for a week!!!

Next time I'm behind the equipment I'll give it a try and let you know.