messaging thru 1761-net-eni

kentuckytech

Hello,
Thanks for the advice the other day! Anyway i was wondering if anyone knew how to configure a message instruction like this: I have a slc 505 processor that i want to program a read message into that will monitor an integer file on a slc 504,same network but the 504 communicates to the network thru a 1761-net-eni ethernet interface. (can it even be done?) any help would be great!!

I did an inconclusive test

I have a 5/04 behind a NET-ENI and a 5/05 which are both on the same controller network.

So, I created a MSG in the 5/05 to read one integer from the 5/04 and used a spare bit to trigger it. I got an error (don't recall the code) but did not have time to chase down the cause.

Possible reasons for my error could be in the two managed ethernet switches the message would have to route through or settings in the NET-ENI. Or maybe, a SLC Typed Read is not the best choice for this type of situation...

So I still expect (almost as bad as assume? :) ) that it might work, and suggest that you give it a try like I did.

Just set up a (SLC Typed?) Read message from the 5/05 and use the IP address of the NET-ENI for the target and try to read a word.

Put a XIC spare_bit in front of the rung so that you can toggle it to trigger the message once and see what happens.

Or maybe Ken Roach :geek: will see this bump and have a concise answer for us both.

Paul

I programmed in a read message to run continously looking at an integer file (N7:0) at the IP address of the 1761-NET-ENI. Looking at the message instruction setup screen it looks as though the instruction is executing properly but no data from N7:0 is being written into my slc505 integer file. My message is set up as local, i don't know if this is the problem or not?????????????

Don't keep the message rung enabled. Condition it so that it will only fire once and then you can examine the control word DN and ER bits to find out if it finished successfully or ERrored.

Use the multihop tab

I am using a 5/05 to read data from a ML1500 via Net-ENI. I had to configure the IP address of the 1500 on the MultiHop tab of the MSG instruction in the 5/05.

Good luck.