Micro 850 ASCII Communication with Weighing indicator

psycho1o1

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to connect a A&D EK-6100i Weigher to my Micro 800 PLC and read the current weight. For now I have managed to connect the weigher to my pc through serial and read weight.
Screenshot-3.png

I have set up the weigher settings as
  • Baud Rate 9600
  • Parity Even
  • Length 7
  • Stop bit 1
  • CR/LF

I changed the PLC serial port settings as well.
Screenshot-4.png

But I have been looking and looking. I cant figure out how to read ASCII character that is send from the weigher and store it into a PLC variable. I tried using ARL instruction block but couldn't configure it properly.
Screenshot-5.png

Would anyone be able to help?

Hello drbitboy,
Thank you for replying. I downloaded the sample codes but I don't know how to use them. They do not open from CCW.
Screenshot-12.png

I cant find a way how to open them anywhere.

I think you would have downloaded a *.7z file. The way I found import is to already have at least one UDFB in your project. If you don't already have one, right-click on User Defined Function Blocks, select add and select one of the languages.

Right-click on the UDFB you just added or one you already have, select import > import exchange file, navigate to the *.7z file you downloaded, select it, and import it. The UDFB should now appear. If you had to create one to get this far, go ahead and delete that one.

I think you would have downloaded a *.7z file. The way I found import is to already have at least one UDFB in your project. If you don't already have one, right-click on User Defined Function Blocks, select add and select one of the languages.

Right-click on the UDFB you just added or one you already have, select import > import exchange file, navigate to the *.7z file you downloaded, select it, and import it. The UDFB should now appear. If you had to create one to get this far, go ahead and delete that one.

Thank you very much for replying. I managed to make the code to transmit what I need. Following is the characters sent from plc to zero the scale.
Screenshot-16.png

I have another question. Can I connect Allen Bradley 1761-CBL-PM02 cable directly to the scale. I have attached the scale DB9 pinout and Allen Bradley cable below.
Screenshot-14.png

Screenshot-15.png

I'm glad you got that figured out. As far as the cable: looking at the drawings, I expect it would work with a null modem adapter. That would swap pins 2&3 connecting TXD with RXD both directions. The resulting DTR/DSR and RTS/CTS configuration looks like it would be fine, but I won't guarantee it.

I'm glad you got that figured out. As far as the cable: looking at the drawings, I expect it would work with a null modem adapter. That would swap pins 2&3 connecting TXD with RXD both directions. The resulting DTR/DSR and RTS/CTS configuration looks like it would be fine, but I won't guarantee it.

Thanks a lot man. :geek::geek::geek: I managed to get it to work. I made a 1761-cbl-pm2 cable with RX TX swapped. Now I can zero the Scale.:)
20230218-150520.jpg

20230218-150553.jpg

I will try to read actual values now. It will be much easier with the UDF.
Thank you again

I managed to get both Serial Read and Write to the scale working.
Whats-App-Image-2023-02-20-at-18-30-23.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2023-02-20-at-18-30-22.jpg

If anyone else is wondering this is the code I made to read the serial buffer, clear the buffer and read it again continuously.
Screenshot-17.png

Screenshot-19.png

Screenshot-18.png