Micro850 <=> Panelview800 - Comms Issue

PLCs_are_fun

I'm working with an AB micro850 PLC (2080-LC50-48QBB) and panelview 800 HMI (2711R-T4T).

IP addresses are set statically. Everything works great until I cycle control power on the system. When the devices reboot the HMI indicates that it can't access the PLC tags. I ack these notifications and the HMI sits there as if it can't talk to the PLC. If I download the HMI program again, everything works and away we go.

I must be missing something obvious! Sound familiar to anyone?

Thank you!

When you cycle power, check the HMI IP. I think there's a setting where it will default to DHCP on power cycle, then when you download it get's the static IP again. Another thing to check is the comms settings and shortcuts. I am more used to pvp 7s so if I'm totally wrong sorry

Comm setting getting defaulted on power-up would be my guess as well, haven't dealt with the 800s enough to suggest anything more specific.

Boot times? If the HMI boots up before the plc it will give you the yellow comms warnings. After waiting a few minutes, and clearing the warning you still don't have comms?

Is the switch you are using taking super long to boot up? Stratix has notoriously long boot up times.

In CCW, on the HMI properties page, under communications, change your settings for 'Timing'. Set the response timeout, fail after, and connection timeout setting to something super large just as something to test.

I've never had an 800 only communicate after a download though. Using the latest firmware for plc and hmi? I think its at 8 now for the HMI.

Thank you (and the others) for the reply...

I did try these suggestions - eventually caved and went through AB tech support.

After more than an hour with them trying all the low-hanging fruit, eventually just tested the same program on another PV800 we had and it worked fine.

Our highly technical conclusion was that something is wrong with the hardware on the PV800 presenting with issues...

Thanks all!