Micrologix 1000 PLC power supply question{

kevilay

I picked up a micrologix 1000 really cheap and it came with no cables. I can pickup one of the communication cable at a store nearby here. I noticed it just has 2 terminals for +24 v and a ground, Im assuming its for a power supply to the plc, do I need to use anything special or any 24v power supply should do?

Kevin

Nothing special about the power supply. As long as its not something somebody made in their garage.

The comm cable is however. You will need the 1761-CBL-PM02 or its equivalent.

Last edited:
this may sound stupid, but is it possible to get away with using a 20v power supply or something a little lower or is the 24v a necessity

Kevin

Whoah, back up a little bit.

MicroLogix 1000 controllers get their power from screw terminals located on the lower left side of the controller. There are both 24V DC and 120V AC versions of the MicroLogix 1000, so the terminals are marked "DC In" or "L1 L2/N" for the AC models.

Some of the MicroLogix 1000 controllers also provide 24VDC sensor power. These terminals are on the upper left side of the controller, marked "DC Out".

Be CERTAIN which version of the controller you have before applying power. It would be a really good idea to download and read the User Manual for the controller.

The +24V and GND pins 8 and 1 in the serial cable are derived from a regulator onboard the MicroLogix 1000 itself. You do not power the controller through the serial cable; these pins are meant to power accessory modules.

Do not connect these pins to the PC side of any cable you choose to fabricate; they are not connected inside the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable.

The "24V DC" versions of the MicroLogix 1000 can run on between 20.4 and 26.4 VDC. I would not recommend a 20V supply.

Last edited:
Yeah I read through the manual, I understand the pm02 cable is for communication not power, Mines 24v in on the lower left terminals. When looking for a power supply if its 24v whats a good wattage/ampage to shoot for?

Thanks for the help

sorry to both you guys again, a buddy of mine will give me a 24v 550ma power adapter, will that be sufficient to run the micrologix 1000? I found one I can buy for 15$ thats 1A, but Im a student so every dollar counts, but if I need it Ill buy it.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Yes, that power supply should work. The various models' power requirements are 5, 7 and 10 watts. 24v at 0.55 amps would be 13.2 watts.

If the power supply is unable to supply a high inrush current, the micrologix may power up more slowly than other devices supplied by the same source. I would not try to drive a whole bunch of outputs with that supply in addition to the ML1000. You should be fine to use it to supply input devices though, since the input impedance of the ML1000 input points will be quite high.

Yes, that power supply should work. The various models' power requirements are 5, 7 and 10 watts. 24v at 0.55 amps would be 13.2 watts.

If the power supply is unable to supply a high inrush current, the micrologix may power up more slowly than other devices supplied by the same source. I would not try to drive a whole bunch of outputs with that supply in addition to the ML1000. You should be fine to use it to supply input devices though, since the input impedance of the ML1000 input points will be quite high.

thanks very much, I tried looking in the manual and could find the required watts.

Kevin