Micrologix 1200, rslogix comm

misnow

needing rslogix Micrologix 1200 help
I finally got a computer to connect to the plc using df1, null serial and the aic, had to be an old computer. although somewhere is written to use pic/aic serial with null. Originally my computer had port problems so I had an issue there that I finally resolved but have just tried the DF1 232 and it seems to work with auto config.

During this I had my laptop trying to use a usb conversion, anyhow I think I messed something up. I think I may have downloaded over whatever was on the plc bc I am slow to actually read advice sometimes.

I definitely tried to download a blank file apparently.

So, now my machine just says
"unit only active node on network"
and it won't come alive and work, it still has the user interface buttons that were for the program on the plc,

I think I may be able to find the original builder, I had to completely rebuild this machine to repurpose it so I need to modify the program, I have nulled out all the inputs to get it to work in the mean time but now even that is done and I really need to get this machine going quickly.

Please provide any advice if you can.

First, examine the MicroLogix to find out if there is a memory module fitted to it.

You mentioned "my machine just says" "only active node on network". This suggests there is an operator interface panel of some type. Can you describe what it is and how it is connected to the MicroLogix ?

If I was presented with an unknown condition MicroLogix 1200, I would press the DCOMM button and connect to it with DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

The RSLinx "RSWho" browse would tell me the controller's Program Name.

Uploading from the controller with RSLogix 500 software would show me what sort of program was already loaded on to the controller.

thanks for your quick reply...

connected to the micrologix is the AIC and connected to it is the PowerPanel display. I don't see a memory module. I can upload a photo if needed, I am very new to this.

I got the DF1 with comm and it just says Untitled, making me think I put that file there.

I can see in rslogix the inputs that should be on are on, but I just have nothing on the screen in rslogix. I would think that I could get the files for the GUI or that I would have overwritten them as well, I think when I did the download I changed the settings on the PLC, I seem to recall being asked it but I had download/upload reversed in my brain. I can do screenshots from my cell if any of this would be needed.

I am just missing a few things for me to be able to make some sense of this all. Can you tell me if I need to be hunting down the MTB for any files because that is going to take awhile and I will need to get going on that last week.

thanks for the help and keep it coming, I am in a spot and I hope I can get out sometime very soon.

It does sound like you have over-written the program in the MicroLogix controller.

The PowerPanel is a totally separate device; that's a Uticor-built HMI. If the program can be extracted from that, it might give you clues about how it was integrated with the MicroLogix program.

The presence of an "AIC" suggests that the old Data Highway 485 protocol was being used. For now, let's stick with the DF1 Full Duplex protocol (since it works easily over USB).

See if you can "go online" with the controller, which will show you any logic that's in "Ladder File 2". If there are no rungs of logic, the user program is gone.

There are a lot of real user programs that end up being named "untitled" because that's the default program name, but it is most likely that you have loaded a default program into the controller.

RSLogix 500 program files have an *.RSS extension; if you're hunting through old files or backup disks, that's what you are looking for.

I very strongly recommend you get a system integrator or the original OEM involved to reprogram the machine.

While automation programming is a rewarding and interesting job, starting from scratch would only be appropriate if you were in an unusual circumstance of having no cost or time pressure.

****, that's what I think happened.

I have the ladder that I can get from the plc and it's just blank with no rungs. I am using the computer with the real serial.

Well, I am off to find that now, I will report with any luck or progress to maybe help any others.

thanks

worst case scenario is I need to write a program, this program is probably the easiest program ever written, to just get it going I just need it to activate the outputs going to the weld controller and the air solenoids, but I am sure that involves much work.