micrologix 1200 using RSLogix 500

Please review what I have already posted. These are the likely reasons for Not being able to go online.

Questions to ask yourself:

Was the Fault Light on Solid before you removed the PLC from the machine. If it was not then check your wiring again and confirm that the expansion card is properly connected to the CPU.

A solid Red LED means Hardware Error. So when the PLC powered up something it checked; memory module, expansion module, memory, etc, it found a fault with.

On a brand new PLC the fault light is on because the default program is the only thing inside the CPU.

When this PLC was in the machine was the comm port on the CPU used to connect to something else?

Now I have disconnected all wiring to the PLC and also the expansion module,The Power n Fault LED is still ON?As per the new PLC module is it not the same steps i will follow in establishing a communication btween it n my pc?

Yes but....

If this is a PLC with a program in it you need to take that into account.

Lets make things simple. Do you have a copy of the program that was in PLC to begin with? If you do please post it so we can look at it and see if something in it might be causing the issue.

Thanks,This is a good question.This is what happened,I have two micrologix 1200 here.One was workin on the nachine before it brot a fault lit n stop working.The second one was purchased to replace the faulty one.All this happned in my absence so when i came in I was told all i narrated above and there is no back up programme.Wat Im trying to do now is to check weather d programme stil exist in the old one and if NO,Develop another programe for it.I am used to siemens PLC and this is my first allen brandley project.Now my observations are.
1)The 2 PLC units are showing POWER n FAULT LED ON
2)When I choose RS232-df1 driver and then click AUTO CONFIGURE,It show:Fail to find tha baud & parity/Check all cables&swicth setting
Now this is wat happened.What and how do i go about it.Please and thanks for ur great assistance

Comm Check List

Here are the things I check so I can go online with an AB Micrologic using a Serial Cable.

Step 1) Since I do not own a Laptop with a serial port and none have been built in a few years I will need to check what Comm Port my PLC is plugged into. This is done in device manager on the PC.

To Check this value I plug my USB to Serial Converter into my PC. I then go to Device Manager and find where this Comm Port is. Once I have this number I move to Step 2.

Step 2) I start RS Links.I then go to Communications and Select Configure Driver. From my driver selection list I then pick RS232 DF1 devices.

Step 3) I then select the Comm Port number I figured out earlier and I select that from my Comm Port pull down menu.

Step4) I now run auto configure. If I have selected the correct Com Port number and my Serial to USB Converter is working correctly then I should Auto Configure.

Step 5) If this does not work I delete the Configuration, Close RSLinks, unplug my converter then plug it back in. At this point I go back to step 1.

Download this manual:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1762-um001_-en-p.pdf
See pages 4-2 and 4-3 for setting the default comm configuration.
If the Auto Configure doesn't work, manually set the comm like Table 4-1.
Also, see Appendix C for troubleshooting.

If the plc has a memory module maybe the program is still on it. See this link for removing and replacing the module, or to swap it from one controller to the other.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1762-in001_-mu-p.pdf

Here's another useful link to a manual:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1762-rm001_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
One other suggestion. Start with trying to connect to the new PLC. Once you have that connection working you can use it on the other PLC. If the other PLC will talk and has not had its Comm port changed.

Hello,I have tried all advised.Now the red LED is no more ON Solid,its now flashing and the COMM 0 LED will be coming ON intermittently.Still not been able to establish connection.I inserted the memory module to check still the same.I want to assume the program as wiped off or corrupt.I want to start a new project on my PC,Please give me the steps to follow then when i finish,I will upload for u guys to ascertain then we download to see by then it will communicate

are you sure you're not connected? The blinking comms light at least indicates something may be trying to talk? was the comms port used to talk to anything on the machine before it was removed?

Are you still getting no luck with the auto configure in RSlinx and are positive you have the right port selected? If the configuration has succeeded, then you need to go back to RSlogix and either use "Who Active Go Online" or change the communications settings for your project to use the correct driver that is now set up in RSlinx.

I think you need to actually run through exactly what you've tried and write it up here - people have given a lot of hints / advice but you only come back with 2 line replies and it's not always clear what you've tried or haven't tried.