MicroLogix 1400 Messaging Breaks

Sean Teague

Hello all. I am working on a program that is using a Micrologix 1400 communicating with a Keyence SR-1000 barcode scanner over ethernet.

Everything works as it should, but if I go offline and do anything at all, I.E. add a new ladder, add a new type of data file, even if I just expand the elements in a data file (adding more bits or timers to an existing one), the messaging breaks.

I cannot get the messaging working again, even if I go back and delete the ladder or elements i had just added and re-download again, messaging stays broke.

any ideas?

What version of RS500 are you using? Version 10 has a bug where it would screw up messaging instructions upon download and you could only get them to work by deleting and rebuilding the instructions. There's a patch (of course, it's AB!), or just use version 9 or 11.

Best part about the bug is it would randomly affect messages. Some would work, some wouldn't.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Can you describe the error messages or other symptoms of how the messaging is "breaking" ?

Post the *.RSS file (ZIP it first) if you can.

Corruption of a MSG control file by an edit of the MSG instruction isn't unheard of, but changes to other logic absolutely should not interfere with the functionality of MSG instructions.

Last edited: