Messaging Help ControlLogix to Micrologix 1400

Most of what I know about configuring MSG instructions I've learned from reading answers to people's problems on this site :)

This particular issue has at least some documentation under the MSG instruction in the Logix5000 Controllers General Instructions Reference Manual, specifically the 'Specify the Communication Details' section.

Wow, thanks. That section of the manual is both vague and profoundly flexible at the same time; apparently almost every AB device is a router; all you need to know is how it is configured. I wonder if there are more than a few dozen people on the planet who fully comprehend this, or if everyone goes by trial and error or finding someone who did summat similar.

It is just like uunet.

I'm not sure conventional NAT has anything to do with this particular address path

I think it is very important in this case to know the nature of the "NAT".

If it's really a ControlLogix chassis with multiple Ethernet and/or ControlNet modules in it, then this a Rockwell CIP path issue, and easy to understand.

If it's an industrial NAT device (even Rockwell-sold 1783-NATR) or a conventional router, then I'm back to scratching my head.

I've been teaching CIP routing by doing hopscotch in the classroom since at least 2003, which is hilarious if you know my size and shape.

Thanks, pretty simple. So sometimes [,port,destination] is actually [,backplane,slot], if I am reading that right.

Where is all the backplane/slot stuff explained? Maybe it's obvious if one is putting these things together regularly, but to someone who has never done that it is a mystery.