micrologix 1400 to redlion g308a

irondesk40

Have a question i hope someone on here could possibly assist with. I have spoke to Red Lion and they tell me you can assess the G308 using the web server. I am looking at possibly using a Red Lion to control some equipment and create a recipe.
The hmi would have a selector that would be for example labeled "Style".
When the operator pushes it they can then scroll through the recipe names such as style 1, style 2, etc. and select the style number by name.
If operator selected for example style 2, there would be 6 timer values associated to that style that are used in the control of the machine if that style is selected. if i understand it correctly you would just create a tag in the hmi for the 6 different timer values and associate them to a N register in the plc. If the operator selected Style 1 then the N registers that contain the timer values would be put in the timers as the new setpoint value.
What i cam confused about is if for some reason the value that is in the N registers have to be changed due to possibly the way the machine needs to function for that style then is it possible to use the web server and push the new values for the N registers that are linked to the tags in the Red Lion HMI unit and if so if anyone has ever attempted something like this and could share some info would be great. To be honest, i am totally confused and drawn a brain dead on it.
thanks

I have done something similar where I have a "Selector" screen for the operator to choose the recipe or configuration she wants to run, and a separate "Configuration" screen where I can edit and poke in values for the recipes.

Crimson 3 has pretty good Array and indirect addressing support.

And you can do almost anything via the Web interface that you could do on the touchscreen itself. I don't think you can look at a different screen than the operator is looking at, simultaneously.

I think the first thing to consider is whether you want to handle recipes in the MicroLogix or in the G3.

i would prefer the recipe values be maintained in the HMI such as Red Lion and linked to the N register in the micrologix 1400. 1400 plc due to fact that is what is already in the 58 machines we have. At the moment they have a small maples and i have actually looked at using the 10 inch Maples Graphic display since according to what i have read on the web site they are capable of recipes.
I can create the recipes and store them in the plc, the part i am having a problem with is the fact that the value in the N register that may contain the value for a timer needs to change.
At the moment i can go on our company network and change it in my plc program and download into the plc using the rslogix software but what i would prefer is to be able to use something like a webserver and just download the values into the HMI.
Thanks

This two-page Crimson 3 application shows a brief example of one way to do "recipe" data storage using Crimson 3 Array Tags and indirect addressing in Crimson 3.

The value of the tag "Index" also selects just one RecipeName[x] out of a 5 position array.

The value of the tag "Index" selects just one RecipeValue[x] out of a 5 position array. You could add many OtherRecipeValue[x] arrays to represent other settings.

I don't have much "recipe" experience in Crimson 3, so other folks with more sophisticated methods might chime in.

The first few features I would add are:

1. A button that writes constant presets into all the number and string tags to restore the dataset to defaults.

2. A button and Crimson program that parses a CSV file to import recipes without needing the user to enter them.

Thanks Ken for the example.
To be honest was pretty disappointed that the Red Lion folks that monitor this forum never offered any advice or assistance.
I was looking at getting 48 of the G308 Red Lion displays but after getting a quote and lack of any response from the Red Lion folks that monitor this site we decided to order the 10 inch Maples display. I know it may not have all the communications protocols that the Red Lion has but we only needed ethernet and when i called Maples and asked a question got very detailed assistance.
The Maples also has a web server and will handle recipes and cost less than half the price of the Red Lion G308 which came in at around $2500 each.
Here is the maples we ordered.
http://www.maplesystems.com/graphic-hmi/10-inch-slimline-ethernet-touchscreen-hmi.htm
It came in at less than $900 each. Have already used about 50-60 of the 4.3 inch screen version of this and to be honest due to lack of time trying to figure out all the things with the Red Lion and not being familiar with the C programming type language and not being able to find any kind of training info on how to do the C type programming in the Red Lion, the boss just decided to stay with the maples.