Using RedLion HMI with Micrologix 1400

AldoB

Hi, I am using a Micrologix 1400 for a project, and we were supposed to use a 4.3in PanelView HMI. By means of delivery times, that won't be possible, so we were considering the option of getting a RedLion 4.3in HMI, the CR1000.
Is it possible to do this? Will we get compatibility issues? WHat are other things I have to consider when doing this?

Yes, I use the Red Lion HMI with any PLC, frequently the ML1400. The CR1000 does not support the Web Server and doesn't support logging to the memory card, although the software will let you create a log file and let you log as much data as the available memory can hold, it wont retain that data through a power cycle, so the trending on a CR1000 will be very limited. It also doesn't support the Mail Manager, but if you don't need to remote access it or have it send email alerts, it will pretty much run circles around anything Allen Bradley makes.

I recommend using a USB Type B cable for the initial download. You can put an image file on a memory card which includes the firmware and initialize it that way, but it is easier to get started with a USB cable unless you don't have one handy. Once the unit is configured to allow downloading over Ethernet, updating it afterward is much simpler. Out of the box, downloading over Ethernet is turned off.

For a 1400, you will choose the Network Protocol as "Allen-Bradley DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP" and on the device, pick ENI/Micrologix in the dropdown box and enter the IP address of the PLC.

Last edited: