Micrologix 1500 ASCII Interface To Sick CLX490

bporfidio

I have an application where I need to put a Sick CLX490 in "Sleep Mode" and put it back into "Run Mode" (Laser On) utilizing the ASCII AWT command. You do this by the following Hex Code.

Sleep Mode = ASCII 13 (02313303)
Run Mode = ASCII 11 (02313103)

My issue is I know how to use the AWT command, but do not know how to properly enter the data into the string so the scanner interprets it correctly. Can anyone help?

I had to look at that a couple of times before it makes sense. The Sick CLX490 requires a starting byte (02 hex) then two ASCII characters (which happen to be digits) then an ending byte (03 hex).

In an RSLogix 500 String type data element, you enter unprintable ASCII characters with a backslash \ and the value. RSLogix 500 tries to convert most of those to a "control character" equivalent, which I think just confuses things because control characters are really obsolete and can be ambiguous, while hex codes for ASCII characters are precise.

To enter the strings you want, type them as follows:

\0211\03
\0213\03

they will show up as

^B11^C
^B13^C

You should see that the String length is 4 characters.