Micrologix 1500 Serial Port

SEBP

Hi,
I'm trying to send hex strings to a printer via the serial port of my micrologix 1500 but it is not working. I'm not getting any activity on the port when hooked up to the printer, but I am able to see the activity on that same port when I hook up my laptop in hyper terminal to it. In Hyper terminal I see the strings being sent, from the PLC, exactly like I want them to, but it seems like there is missing something when it comes to connecting to another device. I'm using a standard crossover cable when I hook up to my PC but the printer only allows me to hook up Rx, Tx, and GND, do I need all of the other standard serial connector pins hooked up on the PLC for this to work?

Thankyou

You may need to connect RTS (pin 7) to CTS (pin 8) to enable transmission.

Some printers may send a software code (XON XOFF) to suspend communication for a moment. If you have selected ASCII for the port this should be selectable in the setup.

Hi,
Thank you for the reply. I'm presently hooked up to a inc.jet printer that is installed directly on the assembly line. It is configured with the following settings: Baud rate 19200, 8 N,1, none, it only has the Rx Tx and ground pins for the serial connection, and I configured the PLC with the same settings and enabled Ascii. The string I'm sending is 02264A6F62312E6A6F6203 with the AWA command, which basically calls a template to be printed. So if I send this command through the serial port of my laptop to the printer everything works, but not with the PLC. I do get the string from the PLC if I connect the serial port directly to my laptop and use Hyperterminal.

Have you made the RTS/CTS connection? If you are using a 1747-CP3 (or equivalent) cable to connect to your PC you are making that connection within the cable.

That looks like Hex, not ASCII.

Try sending this:

/02 /26 /4A /6F /62 /31 /2E /6A /6F /62 /03

I am not sure if there are supposed to be spaces or possibly some other delineator like a comma.

Shawn

Hi,
The printer doesn't have any RTS CTS pins on the Serial connector. Is there a way to bypass this issue. Can I jump these two pins together?

I'd bet it isn't anything to do with RTS CTS. If you're sending that as ASCII, here is what your printer is seeing:

30 32 32 36 34 41 36 46 36 32 33 31 32 45 36 41 36 46 36 32 30 33

If you put the slashes in and force the ML1500 to spit that out the serial port as Hex, here is the ASCII equivalent of what the printer will see:

&Job1.job

Shawn

Yes, just connect together the wires from pins 7 and 8 from the Micrologix.

Note - I looked again at the ASCII setup in the Micrologix. If the 'Control Line' says 'No Handshaking' then you can probably ignore the above.

Hi and thanks for your responses. I've checked in the config and I only have the possibility to send data in Ascii. How can I force the PLC to send it in Hex?

Perfect it seems like everything is working by using this string
\02\26\4A\6F\62\31\2E\6A\6F\62\03

Thankyou very much for your help