MicroLogix and Linx Compatibility (Reference/Inquiry to multiple old threads)

mallorz

Hey Everyone,

I recall seeing multiple threads a while back regarding needing a certain version of RSLinx to establish communications for a certain model of MicroLogix PLCs (1500)?

I looked back a few pages and have not been able to find the old threads. Also, I have searched the internet a bit and the AB website + Knowledgebase trying to find a document that backs this up. Does anyone know if one exists, and if so, where?

Just curious. I think it would be a good thing to have in my records.

Thank you!

You're probably thinking of the requirement for RSLinx Classic 2.54 or newer to support the MicroLogix 1400 controller; about two weeks ago there was a rash of questions about that issue.

The same thing happened with the MicroLogix 1100 a few years before that.

In those cases, the controllers had new product codes and new data types (mostly the Function File datatypes) that RSLinx didn't previously know how to handle. Because RSLinx Classic's support for the SLC/MicroLogix line is mostly hard-coded instead of modular (EDS files), RSLinx needed to be updated to support those controllers.

Because RSLinx Classic has been around for so long and supports such a wide variety of controllers and clients, a complete list or support document would be hard to create. I generally rely on Knowledgebase searches, or if I'm feeling diligent, on the Release Notes for each version.

You can get the RSLinx Classic release notes for the past 10+ years from this Knowledgebase document:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52341

That'd be it. Thank you!

I was between the 1400 and the 1500 so now that I read that again hopefully it will stick in the back of my mind :)