micrologix trouble

Did you try autoconfigure?

Are you sure the COM number assigned to the Keyspan is the same one being used in your RSLinx driver config?

Did you try resetting the comms on the Micrologix?

What com port is the USB-serial adapter set up as?

What driver are you using in RSLinx?

You should be using the AB-DF1 driver and make sure it is set to use the same com port as your new Keyspan USB-serial adapter (check Device Manager to see which com port it has been assigned).

You should be able to click Auto-Configure after that if it is set up correctly.

Glad you got it working.

Sometimes you just need to select the driver in the "Configure Drivers" window in RSLinx and click on "Stop" and then "Start" to restart the driver.

Restarting RSLinx probably had the same effect.

think I got it, had to shut down linx then bring it back up

One thing that sometimes gets me is that after I auto-configure, I get key happy and close the window without hitting 'apply' or 'okay', and I think it keeps it at the present settings. You also need to re-browse and that's should be it.

By re-browse, I mean remove devices listed under the driver and wait for auto-browse to find new ones...or turn off auto-browse and manually browse. Give it a few seconds.

It never hurts to check the driver running status and stop/restart the driver as suggested, but that shouldn't be necessary unless it error-ed.

You will find that the Keyspan will talk to anything, and that you may need to manually shutdown RSLinx in order to use it with anything else.

I suggest you use the RSLinx Backup utility to make a copy of your successful drivers configurations for this machine. It gives you a reference as well as a revert point! And, you can have as many drivers configured and saved as you want, give them various names...multiple serial port drivers sharing the same device can only be running one at a time, but Ethernet drivers can be left running and RSLinx will manage them fine...

Instead of AB-DF1 name it "ACME_Wigetizer_13". You can have as many DF1 drivers listed, saved as you want and any one of them running.

It gives you a way to restore sanity to a large subnet with the Ethernet Devices Driver, just segregate them into logically named drivers' browse lists.

I bet my RSLinx config file has fifteen drivers listed and named, so we can all share it, which makes it handy when we take turns editing and saving files including system comms with driver name references.

And thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Do hurry back now!

Last edited:
well the story gets deeper. last night after I got online with it I had another problem occur. I reset the channel on the small detent on the micro logix and that's when I was able to get online. after that, I lost comms to my panelview 550. display states no active nodes detected. I tried to go back to an older back up and it was loaded successfully but showed a warning that the channel config would change. once it did i wasn't able to get back online. my display came back on my panelview but the buttons weren't reacting with the micrologix. so I did this back and forth several times and the same result everytime? This just shows me how long it has been since I done this kind of work. mostly for the last few years mainly troubleshooting with logix hadn't got that deep. have contacted rockwell but have not had a return call yet. I know this is probably something really simple that I am just overlooking but if anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

It sounds like the display communication is DH485 and you are switching it to DF1 for your PC to communicate. (I haven't read through the whole thread - this may have been covered)

dam bernie you were right, I'm such a dumb#$%. I forgot about the side port I have been unhooking the panelview and using that port and it changed the channel config that is why panelview couldn't communicate. I got it all back working now. you guys are awesome.