MicroLogix web server; almost there (stay on target)

drbitboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Summary

I am stuck at what I hope is the last step (see below) in trying to look at [Data Views] via a MicroLogix built-in web server. I have been able to Google'n'guess my way this far but not over that last step; it looks like some of you have done this before, so any advice would be appreciated.

Update

It's javascript, right?

Hmm, maybe not; I found this in http://172.16.240.240/TableList.js:

Code:
function CheckError(){
  iType=-1;
  try { if(typeof(viewlist.recordset(0).value) != 'string'){Page(4);return;}}
  catch (e){Page(4);return;}
}
function Page(n){
  ...if(n==4)str="Data is not accessalble.";
}

Details

I bought my first PLC, a [1763-L16BBB Series B Rev B FRN 7.0], from eBay. I built my own DB9/DIN-8 RS-232 cable. l have been fiddling with it point-to-point over both RS-232/DF1 and Ethernet, put some simple programs on it, flipped input bits and watched output bits change; I put tape over the DC COMmon terminals so I won't put my +24VDC test wire in there again (should have used a resistor;-). Hearing the relays clicking is much more satisfying than the emulator.

When the first HTTP attempt at FRN 7.0 suggested doing so, I installed ControlFLASH and upgraded the firmware to FRN 16 (and found out that cannot be done via Ethernet).

Now I am trying to look at the data using the built-in web server while the unit is in [REMOTE RUN] mode. I am trying to see if scraping its web server pages is easier than writing a custom service e.g. using AdvancedHMI.

I can ping the ML100.

With Chrome, I can open the home web page, and change the administrator and guest passwords on the [User Management] page. But when I go/switch to the [Data Views] page/frame, I get this:

chrome_data_view.png

It appears Chrome is trying to protect me there, and I have not yet found out how to get around Chrome's cautious nature.

That's okay, because Internet Explorer is more willing than Chrome to lower its pants, and I got to here for [Data Views]:

empty_data_views.png

and to here for [New Data View]:

empty_new_data_view.png

There are so many little things to learn that this industry is starting to look like a secret society; I think I need just one more.

That's as far as I got. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Never tried this with the MicroLogix. Didn't know it had this capability. I used to teach basic setup on the ControlLogix EWEB which looks identical to what you are seeing. That was quite some time back! We also had issues with Chrome. Firefox worked fine for us. Never got an answer as to why Chrome didn't work.

The Data Views allow you to create a list of "tags" that you can identify as Read-Only or Read/Write based on login. Users can access via their web browser and view those tags and possibly change the values (Read/Write). It was pretty simple stuff. Certainly an HMI will let you do much more. But it was handy to have a display showing only specific tags that anyone with a browser can see.

OG

I know this isn't helpful, but from what I recall from fiddling with this in the past, the data tables showed up with no special configuration.

I need to find IE 6, 7, or 8

I think it is related to one ActiveX component, possibly more; the Data Views code uses the [Tabular Data Control], tdc.ocx, e.g.

Code:
<OBJECT ID="FList" CLASSID="clsid:333C7BC4-460F-11D0-BC04-0080C7055A83">

Maybe I can find one of my old laptops with IE 6, 7, or 8.

Does RA/AB always make such atrocious and horrible design decisions?

Getting IE11 to display MicroLogix 1100 web data

I found a workaround, summarized here, for Internet Explorer 11: there are [Internet options] settings that allow IE11 use the Tabular Data Control (TDC) ActiveX control.

There are apparently also options to get Chrome and Firefox to use ActiveX controls, but I have not looked at that.

Caveats

• The TDC has security issues; using the [Local Intranet] zone for the PLC should provide some protection there, but you are on your own.
  • YMMV

Last edited: