ML 1100 comms issues

JohnRatHolten

Hey All,

Got a comms issue that's puzzling me....

Got two identical machines, each had a MicroLogix 1000, and since the ML1000 is now deemed EOL (end of life), I decided to upgrade them to ML1100. Main reason for the ML1100 is it has built-in ethernet, so I figured I could connect them to my PLC network and be able to monitor operation from my workstation (I like building little displays with AdvancedHMI).

Anyway... Got my programs loaded and the ethernet setting loaded using the serial port and my trusty PM02 cable, and pretty sure my I/P settings are correct, but I can't keep an I/P connection for more than a minute or so, with either PLC. They show up fine in RSLinx, I get online from RSLogix and the little "online icon" is spinning around, then after a minute or so it stops, and a window pops up saying " Communication lost to processor".

I thought at first it was an issue with my network, but I find they each do the same thing if I bring my laptop out and plug in direct.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Regards, JohnR

no guesses yet, just questions:

are the ml100s using ethernet driver or ethernet/ip driver?

Can you get to the ml1100 web server (it needs to be enabled in the comm 1 config)?

can you do a screen capture of the config for comm 1 (ethernet)?

• press [Prt sc] (copies screen to paste buffer)
  • Then start Paint
    • paste into there
    • crop as needed,
    • save as PNG

thanks for the quick reply...

I'm using E/IP driver, same as I do for a dozen other PLCs on my network. but first time using ML1100...

not sure about the web server, what needs to be enabled, the HTTP server?

png of ch 1 screen attached

JohnR

channel 1.PNG

Need a subnet mask. 255.255.255.0 should work.

Fix that, then download again with your PM02 cable. Power Cycle the ML1100 and it should set it and fill in the Hardware Address so it shows. Should be able to go online over ENET-IP then.

This is an ML1400, but basically the same thing. HTTP server enable for web browser.

This has a gateway address and Modbus TCP enabled because its talking to a strange unit... so disregard that.

ML1400-3.jpg

Last edited:
Would a duplicate IP address cause these symptoms?

Turn it off and see if another device thinks it is 192.168.1.9.

e.g.

• ping 192.168.1.9
  • point browser at http://192.168.1.9
  • telnet 192.168.1.9 44818
  • do [arp -a] and see what MAC address is associated with 192.168.1.9
  • etc.

drbitboy - pimging 192.168.1.9 with this plc off shows nobody else with that IP

swimmy67 - not sure what you mean by Ethernet driver vs Ethernet/IP, are you talking about this one called Ethernet Devices? I've never used that, how do you configure it?

eth-1.PNG

Fair enough, that made it work, :beerchug:but I still wonder why...
I've used Ethernet/ip for years without this kind of issue.
Is it something with the ML1100?

Not sure why and I dont think its just the 1100's, I think its a Windows thing... I have switched back and forth all the time, I try I/P first but if I know the static address I will use the other if its not found and most of the time it works, glad you got it working 🍻