Numatics G3 Fieldbus and AB SLC 5/05 / ML 1100 comms

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm considering a Numatics G3 (remote I/O) Ethernet comunications module and a 5-valve manifold assembly for a small pneumatic valve control project. Valves must be located remotely, so a single Ethernet cable is preferable to cables for all solenoids.

Our local distributor isn't overly knowledgeable in connectivity, so I was hoping someone on this forum could help me out...

Basically, I have 2 questions:
  1. Will my processors communicate with the remote I/O module
  2. Assuming they will, how do I configure the MSG?
Thanks.

I very strongly discourage the use of MSG instructions to perform "control" functions in any platform.

The MicroLogix 1100/1400 and SLC-5/05 have moderate Messaging (non-cyclic, non-I/O) capability using the EtherNet/IP protocol, but they are not and never will be I/O scanners on EtherNet/IP, which is what CompactLogix and ControlLogix do.

You can probably send messages to the Register Object or the Assembly Object and the Numatics manifold might process them like an I/O command, but RA won't support it and Numatics won't support it, so you're back at the drawing board if it doesn't work.

I would pursue this if it's a "long shot" on existing equipment, but I would not recommend doing this intentionally for a new design.

Last edited:
I very strongly discourage the use of MSG instructions to perform "control" functions in any platform.

The MicroLogix 1100/1400 and SLC-5/05 have moderate Messaging (non-cyclic, non-I/O) capability using the EtherNet/IP protocol, but they are not and never will be I/O scanners on EtherNet/IP, which is what CompactLogix and ControlLogix do.

You can probably send messages to the Register Object or the Assembly Object and the Numatics manifold might process them like an I/O command, but RA won't support it and Numatics won't support it, so you're back at the drawing board if it doesn't work.

I would pursue this if it's a "long shot" on existing equipment, but I would not recommend doing this intentionally for a new design.

Thanks for the input.

I have DeviceNET scanners (1747-SDN) on two SLC 5/05s. Both are currently used to scan a minimum of two 1747-ASB modules in remote racks. Could either of these scanners be used in conjunction with the same valve manifold with a Numatics DeviceNET communications module?

Check those scanner devices... the 1747-SN is the RIO scanner that connects to 1747-ASB adapters. It will have a "blue hose" three-pin connector.

The 1747-SDN is a DeviceNet scanner and should have a big "DeviceNet" label and a 5-pin connector with the characteristic black/blue/shield/white/red insulated wires.

For SLC-5/0x and MicroLogix 1500, DeviceNet is my preferred network for distributed fieldbus devices.

I have done a similar setup with a 5/04 and 05 to numatics G series valves and I/O but not on ethernet as ken said slc and mlogix is really not designed for I/O control over ethernet.That was never the intention with the ethernet capabilities on those plc's.

I have used SST ASI bus cards with a slc to numatics valves and i have used devicenet. The devicenet is rock solid if it is done right. Numatics G series is a great product very rugged and the i/o blocks are good as well. Nice way to connect cylinder prox switches,psi switches,indicator lights,etc.

Check those scanner devices... the 1747-SN is the RIO scanner that connects to 1747-ASB adapters. It will have a "blue hose" three-pin connector.

The 1747-SDN is a DeviceNet scanner and should have a big "DeviceNet" label and a 5-pin connector with the characteristic black/blue/shield/white/red insulated wires.

For SLC-5/0x and MicroLogix 1500, DeviceNet is my preferred network for distributed fieldbus devices.

You're right - The 5/05s have 1747-SN, not SDN modules. I'll order a SDN.

Thanks for your help.