ML1400 comms with Pflex 400 EthIP

jorgeGal

Hi! I´m new to this configuration between micrologix and Powerflex through Ethernet IP. Do you have an example code?
Another issue I have is that I don´t find where to set the IP parameter on my Powerflex 400.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Not going to say its impossible, but it is extremely complicated to control an ethernet drive using a SLC or Micrologix. I would recommend upgrading to a compactlogix or using analog control.

I agree with upgrading...

This is prior post on this PLCTALK.NET

"You must have a 22-COMM-E module (or 22-XCOMM external module) to connect a PowerFlex 4/40/400 drive to an EtherNet/IP network.

Chapter 3 of the 22-COMM-E User Manual (publication 22-COMM-UM004) explains how to set the IP address using drive parameters."

Hi! I´m new to this configuration between micrologix and Powerflex through Ethernet IP. Do you have an example code?
Another issue I have is that I don´t find where to set the IP parameter on my Powerflex 400.
Thanks in advance for your help!

It is technically possible, but it is relatively complex in Rockwell's own words. It is not the recommended way of doing it, as that is not the way the components are designed to work.

There is an AB/RA Tech Note 52205 describing what is involved in making it work.

Stu....

Ok!, thanks for your answers! I have a Clx in the same network, so I will have to comission the drive on it.

Thanks again. On the other hand, I would Like to communicate some status of the Micrologix 1400 to the Clx and vice versa. How may I share data between them?

Thanks again. On the other hand, I would Like to communicate some status of the Micrologix 1400 to the Clx and vice versa. How may I share data between them?

You would use a Message (MSG) Instruction for that. You can go either way, because the ML1400 in newer, and can deal with a Logix Processor. However, I would probably do it all in the ControlLogix.

Make sure that the Message Data Type is the same in both Processors. Remember, the standard in the ML1400 is a 16 Bit Integer, and the standard in the ControlLogix is a 32 Bit DINT.

Stu....

Thanks, and how should I start configuring the CLx in order to address it correctly. I have looking into the add module option but there is no Micrologix-XXXX.
Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks, and how should I start configuring the CLx in order to address it correctly. I have looking into the add module option but there is no Micrologix-XXXX.
Thanks in advance!!!

There are a few steps to setting it up. You would use the IP Address of the ML1400 in the Message Instruction. You can find it in the Instruction Reference Manual, which you can find here.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Have a look in Chapter 4 for information on the MSG Instruction, and setup examples. There are also examples in the AB/RA Knowledgebase, but many if not all require a Tech Connect Contract.

Stu....