ML1400 series C frn21

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
We may of finally received out first v21 ML1400.
IP address set, proceed to download standard file for our machines & at about the 80% mark the download falls & disconnects with a ‘communications error’ message.

RS500 8.3 & also 12 do the same thing.

The Webserver also does not work.
Release notes say a password is prompted when Webserver is first opened, but not getting that.

From what I have found on the googles, there should be no significant issue/difference between B/C, yet we are definitely seeing something

Have you tried downloading a basically empty program with just the channel configuration?

Did you power cycle the PLC after you set the IP address and turned off BootP?

I typically set the IP address with the BootP tool and then immediately download to the controller without issue. Sometimes I forget to power cycle it immediately thereafter and all appears to be working fine until a few minutes later it goes sideways and then I remember to power cycle.

I can't say for sure I have used that particular firmware, but we use a lot of ML1400's and rarely have trouble.

The only weird thing we have seen on 3 or 4 occasions was a 1400 that refused to recognize a brand new analog expansion card which can usually be resolved after multiple attempts.

Shoot, thought I’d replied.
Empty program goes in without issue.
So then I tried disabling all the jsr calls, same thing.
Had power cycled the machine was trying to get running, but not this one on test bench (the one that took the empty program.
So is something specific to program we using, although have never had this issue before..

Can you load part of the program?
George
Have tried deleting half the routines, same result.

Can you load it in a different Processor?
Common program, loaded many times before.
According to my RSLinx history, I have loaded a 21.02 version previously (this one is 21.07)..

of course, it is bound to be something obvious.. ( i just cannot find it yet.. )

so somewhat of an update.
when the download fails, if I accept then go back online with the controller ( prompts for upload etc), I can go online, edit & operate as normal etc..
I cannot open the file from windoze explorer as normal, have to start the RS500 then open file that a way.. (this version is V8.3)
Another oddity, is that when we go offline the password is not prompted & the ladders etc are not displayed.
Then, when trying to open the same file again it does not open...

Gonna try the VM with V12.0 to see what difference that makes

Resolution
Started a new project. Exported db files etc, imported & copied routines across.
Now able to do what I normally would.

What is strange, is this process was something babe done 50+ time the exact same way previously with no issues.
Even doing the same file to a series b controller worked as expected

There must have been some corruption. I didn't think about that, but it has happened to me before to, but I don't remember those symptoms. A quicker fix might be to save as a SLC file type and then reopen (or import?) to clear that up.

There must have been some corruption. I didn't think about that, but it has happened to me before to, but I don't remember those symptoms. A quicker fix might be to save as a SLC file type and then reopen (or import?) to clear that up.
you would think so, but the exact same file downloaded into a series B controller..

Not AB, but Siemens. I have ran into problems, where something worked in version x, but does not work in version x+1. Tech services explained that, often, when issuing new releases, while adding new features, they encounter unknown mistakes in the previous version and "fix" it. So, new versions often tighten up things that were a little "loose" in the previous version. Sounds like something similar.