modbus and DL205 (250-1 CPU)

Have you called AutomationDirect Tech support? 800-633-0405You can access them till 6:00 PM Eastern

Andy

Ok, so far there are several things that have been said that are incorrect so far.

1. Port 1 can be a MODBUS slave. It is set for 9600 baud, odd parity, and 1 stop bit.

2. You only need pins 4 & 5 jumpered for RS-232 on Port 2. Do not jumper any others. Pins 7 & 8 are the same potential, ground. You say your cable is right, did you swap pins 2 & 3 (RXD-TXD & TXD-RXD) or do they go through straight (RXD-RXD & TXD-TXD)?

3. Make sure your baud, parity, and stop bits are configured the same in your master device as in the PLC Port 2 setup.

If you are really struggling with this call AD's tech support, they can get you going probably in a few minutes (800-633-0405).

2. You only need pins 4 & 5 jumpered for RS-232 on Port 2. Do not jumper any others. Pins 7 & 8 are the same potential, ground. You say your cable is right, did you swap pins 2 & 3 (RXD-TXD & TXD-RXD) or do they go through straight (RXD-RXD & TXD-TXD)?

Actually he said that someone told him that pins 7 & 8 need to be jumpered on the PC side, which is RTS to CTS. I suppose this is possible. It depends upon the way that software was written (does it looks for CTS before it TXs?).

Question: Is the final software you plan to use or are you simply trying to validate your Modbus setup? If you are just trying to validate the Modbus setup, I would suggest a different software. The software that you are using seems very confusing to me. Both www.win-tech.com and www.modbustools.com have very good simulator softwares that have freel trial versions you can download.
Calling tech support is probably a good idea but my guess is they will want you to try one of these other simulators.

Thanks guys. I got it figured out, sort of. A tip from another with a DL06 recommended changing my parity from ODD to NONE, and changing the Base Timeout setting in DS32 to Timeout X 1.5. All of a sudden it 'magically' worked.

I plan to go back and change settings one at a time to see which one did the trick.

I appreciate all the tips, it was just one of those things that I got hung up on.