Modicon M241 Machine Expert Reset Device User Security

ControlSystems

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,
Have any of you resolved this... I just opened up a new Modicon M241 and the firmware was outdated. So after using the controller assistant in
machine Expert to update the firmware to 5.084, the device began asking for a log in and password!. Even though I never turned on the protection or user management in the Machine Expert Application. Seems easy, so I looked all over the help files and found "Everyone" with blank PW... no luck. Then found Administrator with no PW.... no luck. So I just followed the online instructions to put the firmware on a SD card, re-boot the device to that. Supposedly this sets the device back to factory image with no protection. But the original test program loaded by me just wont be erased no matter what I do!! Any help would be appreciated. Im sure they must have default user and password that the latest help file is missing??

M241 Firmware Issue

Thank you for your post. And happy 1/1/2021... You are correct in that the SE website offers a M241 firmware 4x as the current one. However the EcoStructure Expert program called that firmware outdated. The controller assistant also enabled me to put the M241 firmware 5x onto the removable SD card just like their help files described. All efforts to reflash the controller with new firmware are successful according to the status LEDs on the controller as described in their help files... But I still have the old test program on the controller afterwards. Still have the pop up for a login which nobody created on my laptop. I'm the only user of this application here... Seems like a bug, but cannot reach Schneider Electric on a holiday..

Last edited:
We have an update from Schneider Electric this morning. As suspected the new Modicon Firmware update "5.0.84" for the M241 class of controllers enforces mandatory security. The factory default user is "Administrator" and the factory default password is "Administrator". Upon the initial connection to the new device the user must log in using the above. Then the firmware forces the new device user to update the password to something different than the above. This may be in their help file of thousands of subjects, however their search tools fail to bring up anything for password or default. We suggested to Schneider they add a label or a quick start guide in the new hardware package describing the above to prevent more support calls. Hopefully you all dont waste the time I did on this in the future. Happy New Year!

Yes, The problem was the newer 5xx firmware which is not on the Schneider site yet, forces a 1st log on attempt to be Administrator with a blank password. Once initially logged in you are forced to set a password. Then you can turn off user account control. There is more on this in their help file under the M241 firmware section