Modicon M340 / Unity Pro Data Aquisition

Jericho

Hello all,

My company have sourced a Modicon M340 PLC with a Magelis (XPT GTO4310) HMI. The intention here is to use this setup in order to record data from various sensors that are wired up to the system. When programming this, I am struggling to find a way to record at a faster sample rate than 1 sample per second.

I find it hard to believe that this is the fastest sample rate as the analogue input cards are acquiring data in the range of 10-100ms.

Has anybody had any experience at doing fast data logging with the Modicon M340 PLC (using Unity Pro)? And if so what might you advise.

Regards

Jericho.

How is the HMI communicating to the PLC?
What is the communication? Ethernet, RS232, RS485?
What is the protocol? Modbus TCP, Modbus RTU

I believe that you should look at your HMI for a quicker response.
You could try using a free software package like AdvancedHMI on your ethernet port to communicate Modbus TCP. I have response times for communication under 100ms.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/
http://accautomation.ca/create-a-plc-with-hmi-training-and-learning-environment-free/

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,

Hello Garry,

Thank you for the prompt reply -

Vijeo Designer has been used to program the HMI at the moment, it is communicating through HMI.

Vijeo Designer is the software limiting me to a 1 second logging rate, are you suggesting loading a different software package onto the HMI that is able to recording at a faster rate? The idea of re - programming the entire HMI using different software frightens me slightly.

Again than you for the prompt reply.

Jericho

Hi Jericho,
If you are communicating Ethernet Modbus TCP, I would attach another computer running the AdvancedHMI software for the data acquisition. You would not have to change anything in your current HMI.

Regards,

Hi Garry,

So the operator uses the Magelis HMI to control the system, then a separate PC is also connected to the PLC to record the data sent to its analogue inputs?

Thanks.

Jericho.