Modicon Quantum - ACI 030 00 Analog Input

bwhite

Lifetime Supporting Member
My first time programming a Modicon Quantum. Not bad so far but I've one question.

I have a test rack with a CPU 113 02 and a couple of discrete IO cards and an ACI 030 00. For testing purposes, I've wired channel 1 as a 4-20 input and as I understand and documentation tells me, the resolution on this card is 0 - 4095. When I shoot the card a 4-20 signal, 3xxxx comes up with 0 - 32767. Right, a 12mA signal produces 16383 in the 3xxxx register associated with that input. Am I missing something very basic here?
Ben

It's definately an ACI 030 00. Thank-you for responding leon.

I found out something interesting late yesterday after much digging around and telephone calls. Supposedly, I can attest to this, ProWORX32 v2.0 has a bug that acts up when you set up a brand new config in Traffic Cop. When adding an ACI 030 00 analog in card, Traffic Cop scales it to 32767. I confirmed this with Schneider Tech Support. It will not affect a program that is imported from NXT.

To get around this, I set up a new config in NXT and then imported it into ProWORX32. No problems now. It is definately scaled to 4095.

Ben

bwhite said:
I found out something interesting late yesterday after much digging around and telephone calls. Supposedly, I can attest to this, ProWORX32 v2.0 has a bug that acts up when you set up a brand new config in Traffic Cop.

I few months ago I moved a card from one rack (that was going away) to another rack in a different panel. The original Traffic Cop was set up in an earlier version of software, and when I added the card to the rack using ProWorxNxT the card went screwey. It was a 32 bit card sending two 16 bit data words back. Each word's bits were backwards - if you sent an input to point 16 you saw point 16 on the card light up, but the PLC software showed that point 1 was turned on. I had to delete the entire traffic cop and re-enter it to get it working correctly. Took a bit of troubleshooting to figure that one out. Tech support wasn't much help at first - but the support guy did call me back a day later and tell me that he had been talking to one of the field guys and they had told him that they had seen this happen and for me to delete the entire Traffic Cop (I had only been deleting the rack and re-entering that).

That's an Nxt bug from way way back - but given my past experience with Modicon's tech support I'm not surprised that they weren't much help. I had an open case on this with tech support in November 2003 - you'd think that it would be part of something that tech support would be supposed to know. Case 775739 (closed).

According to Modicon, if you don't have at least "Special 6" installed for ProWorx Nxt it can do some very funky things to your traffic cop, including what you described with the inverted bits. The only sure fix is to block the ladder and export it, create a new project (with Special 6 installed, of course), manually recreate the configuration and traffic cop, and then re-import the ladder logic, fixing the segment scheduler afterwards.

I'd use "Special 8" myself, since I don't recall "Special 6" fixing it. I'll leave it to someone else to comment on the relationships between "ProWorx Nxt", "Special" and "Olympics".

kenschunk said:
According to Modicon, if you don't have at least "Special 6" installed for ProWorx Nxt it can do some very funky things to your traffic cop,

Being more of an AB person than Modicon, I don't recognize the term "Special 6". Is this a patch you can download for free, if so from where? Or is it the next version of the software that you need to buy so that the software will work?

It's a patch - why they didn't call it "Service Patch 6" is anyones guess. I don't see, at a quick glance, where you can download it from unless you have an Eclipse login (paid technical support). The patches used to be available at www.modicon.com, but they gutted that site last year, and it just sends you to the tele site now. You might try contacting your local Modicon distributor looking for the patch. If you're in Washington State you could try Graybar - I know some of the guys out there, depending on the branch. If you're in Washington DC I'm not sure who it would be - perhaps Commonwealth Electric?

You could drop me a line at ken dot schunk at gmail dot com and I'll send the Special 8 patch on over to you if you'd like.

Ken