Monitoring RIO ethernet status thru Studio 5000

toddp65

Recently we've had some faults and disconnects with our 1734 aent/r module.

It shuts down all processes associated with the remote IO, obviously and the module needed to be powered down to clear the fault.

At this point I don't know what the issue is because I've never came into it before the power cycle by someone else.

At any rate, I need to create a watchdog on the controller to send out an email thru our Ignition/SCADA system to let us know someone needs to come in and reset/evaluate before we lose our systems controlled by the RIO.

I read in a search about using the GSV instruction and then pointing it to the remote module on the connections tree. I just need some more clarification on how I can do this.

Thanks!

Attached is how we do it, Hope it helps.

Recently we've had some faults and disconnects with our 1734 aent/r module.

It shuts down all processes associated with the remote IO, obviously and the module needed to be powered down to clear the fault.

At this point I don't know what the issue is because I've never came into it before the power cycle by someone else.

At any rate, I need to create a watchdog on the controller to send out an email thru our Ignition/SCADA system to let us know someone needs to come in and reset/evaluate before we lose our systems controlled by the RIO.

I read in a search about using the GSV instruction and then pointing it to the remote module on the connections tree. I just need some more clarification on how I can do this.

Thanks!

gsv.JPG

I've attached the way I did it.

Jgunnels thanks for your reply....my method isn't actually showing the ethernet connectivity but I believe it is mostly relying on led status

Capture.PNG

o_O Have not seen that before. hopefully you can get some others to chime in to see what they are doing. I think what would be the most helpful is capturing the fault code then track in down in the manual to see what the real issue is.

I've attached the way I did it.

Jgunnels thanks for your reply....my method isn't actually showing the ethernet connectivity but I believe it is mostly relying on led status

right...I suppose it would have to occur again to do that.

The online config page for the adapter doesn't tell me much; the unit was powered down so it doesn't seem to have retained any faults in memory

There are several methods for monitoring the I/O connection status of a remote device. I have never used the LED Status method and wouldn't recommend it.

Using GSV to read the EntryStatus (high bits 12-15) or the FaultCode are the standard method.

Or, because it's POINT I/O, you can just use the Slot Status tags that are built into the Input tag for the module. When all Slot bits = 1, the SlotStatus tag value = -1, so you can use that as a quick-and-dirty trigger for an alarm or notification without writing GSV logic.

Thanks, Ken

What about using the GSV-- Module--Fault Code---0

And then my alarm code NEQ A.Fault Code (0)________________________ (Alarm)
B. 0

edit: I see you mentioned the Fault code method

Last edited:
Thanks, Ken

What about using the GSV-- Module--Fault Code---0

And then my alarm code NEQ A.Fault Code (0)________________________ (Alarm)
B. 0

edit: I see you mentioned the Fault code method

It may be worthwhile using both Fault and Entry. In the past I have had a module continually try to connect to a device, but it never actually faulted. In that scenario the FaultCode stayed 0.