Motion, Sercos, Synchlink & Prod/Cons tags

A353322

Had a problem recently that we've resolved, but we are trying to decide on alarming and prevention of the massive downtime because of the problem. I figured this would be the place to ask for opinions.

We have a shuttle that moves from applier to applier for different products. This happens in varying orders depending on a recipe. Every applier and the shuttle have their own PLC. On the shuttle is a drum that spins to accept stock from each applier. Hope all that makes sense.

When the drum is at applier 2, and in position, we use a MAG instruction to gear together the drum speed and the conveyor speed. Unfortunately, due to the size of the machine, not every applier has access to synchlink data. We have Synchlink at applier1 and create a virtual axis which is slaved to the actual axis. The resulting tags are Produced to applier1 to be geared to the conveyor.

Various other motors are on each applier all in the same motion group, so if (and when) we have a problem on the synchlink (drive problem) it kills our entire motion group so we end up not knowing what's going on at applier1 and why they won't gear together without an error.

My question to everyone - if you're still reading this - is what would your suggestions be for alarming? we have .SercosRunning bits and we have .GroupSynched bits that are all useable for this. Excuse me if I take a bit getting to answer your questions but it's my weekend starting in 30 minutes and I'm working on this stuff in my spare time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
A353322