Motor connected to Load on VFD Parameterization

Jieve

Simple question that I keep forgetting the answer to:

When a VFD is running it's motor auto-characterization routine (static and rotating) where it determines motor parameters (resistance, inductance, etc.), should the motor be completely mechanically disconnected from the load, or installed driving the equipment during the process?

Context: Siemens G120 Drive, 3hp Motor, can't seem to find this information in the Siemens VFD manual for some reason.

I don't have any experience with Siemens drives, but on Allen-Bradley drives, typically you do a Static Tune if you can't uncouple the motor from the load, and a Rotate Tune if you are able to uncouple the motor from the load.

Thanks for that response. Looks like Automation Direct has a video for one of their series of VFDs where they say exactly that, so I'd guess that's most likely the case with most brand VFDs.

My habit is P1900 to a 2 (motor ID)
then I do a P1900 to a 3 (speed controller)
I then set up a trace and look at speed and current

for open loop vector I adjust P1470 and 1472 if necessary

Also P96 must be a 2 for this mode

I don't disconnect the motor or gearbox )
I can say I've fully understood that theory

Last edited: