yaskawa m940 connected to a 400v servo motor

plmontez

Where can I get information on their programming process. I was told by their reps that I cannot up load the program in the m940 to my pc because of the compilier used for the program.

There are two different pieces of programming software for Yaskawa MP940 PLCs.

"MotionWorks+" is and icon-driven program. This is the one that is usually being offered along with MP940. It is supposed to be easy to use visual "pick an icon and drop it on the screen" type of thing. MW+ works ONLY with 940.

"MotionWorks" (without a plus sign) is a fully-blown ladder logic programming software. It works not only with 940, but also with the other PLCs in MP900 line: 910, 920 and 930 - as well as with the newest 2000 series. It is very powerful and allows you to get everything out of your system. However, it is not very user-friendly and the learning curve is quite steep.

MW+ would not be able to upload and understand anything that was originally created with MW. However, MW can upload a program that was originally created with MW+, since all that nice-looking icon-based stuff is just a front-end for some canned ladder logic underneath.

If you have MW+ and the machine builder used MW to program your 940 (as any serious controls professional should, may I say) - then your rep is right and you would not be able to upload. If you intend to troubleshoot that system by yourself, you should buy a copy of MotionWorks and learn how to use it. Of course, having a documented copy of the original program would help a lot.