Moving Siemens TIA V11 programs

Oh, maybe I wasn't so clear. I meant to download the .exe and .001, .002, and .003 files from only update 5! In TIA portal, the updates usually include all previous ones.

I have a little cheat I do... I take the contents of the C:\TEMP\ folder and zip it or make an .iso image, and archive it somewhere so I don't have to go looking for it to download again.

I thought within TIA, you could run the Automation Software Updater. It will do it all for you.
I think I had v12 before running the auto update. The update downloaded v13 and then installed it.

There is a second tab called support packages in Automation Software Updater which allows you to download and install all of them as well but the download is slow.

As for transferring projects, I just went to C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\Automation zipped and copied it to a usb stick or googledrive/dropbox/onedrive and downloaded it onto the other pc. Worked fine.

I did have an issue with v12 when the 2 pcs didn't have the same language of operating system though. But that is easy to fix.

Hi SigmaD
I did misunderstand.. I was never successful in creating a path to some folder I had to have on the C drive, in the Automation folder? so that the process could start..

When I went to Update 1, no such folder was necessary.. It just worked.

Then I couldn't make Update 2 install... then I read your last post, and indeed ... i could have started directly with Update 5.

I just don't get it .. I made a folder path at C;\TEMP\ .. didn't work.
I'll try one at C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Lambert\My Documents\TEMP\SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD2 .... see if that gets me Update 2 ... :)... if so.. I'll jump to 5

Nope.. That didn't work. Perhaps I'll try C:program Files\Siemens\Automation\Portal V11 ... and then perhaps add \SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD2

...sigh!

Nope.. and more nope... time to get on the phone to Siemens Rep... Thanks much for the help transferring the project files to the good PC with the working Network Controler.. Just didn't know I had to Update TIA V11 sp2 to update 5....

PS: by the way.. the update to level 1 was only done for WinCC TIA V11 is still at 0

Last edited:
present status of TIA V11 SP2 on the way to Update 5 .. no idea why update 1 failed to do TIA Portal and Step 7 basic ...

TIA V11 status as of 5PM April 10.jpg

Good questions Sigma .. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Working form https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/attachments/58112582/SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5.exe Provided by Lare (using Google) .. truely, the only way to search the Siemens site...

I click on the SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5.exe file, download and run the program. Then I see the problem.. which is "me" not the software :) ... I must include a "Path" to a folder that might exist, or might be created if it dosen't exist .. where the extraction will be placed.

I do my best to understand exactly what is needed.. but, so far, have always failed. I've tried C:\TEMP\ at the end of C:\Documents and Settings ... etc. (see above previous posts) I always get the dreaded failed to locate file window (see attachment) I've even gone to those places and placed an empty folder named TEMP.. or SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5

Sooo.. it looks like it's looking for UPD5.001 ? not the .exe file

OK, so I click on the UPD5.001 ...Quite large .. and get a question as to what to do with the file .. after downloading, I get another question that doesn't help.

Thanks for helping .. you probably know where i've run off the edge...

Downloading TIA Update.jpg Downloading TIA Update002.jpg Downloading TIA Update004.jpg Downloading TIA Update003.jpg

Ok now I see the issue(s)... The .exe, .001, .002 and .003 must be saved in the same directory before running the .exe!

Let's break it down:

1) in windows explorer, create a directory called Downloaded_UPD5 on C drive

2) create a directory called unzipped_UPD5 on C drive

3) download the following files and save them to Downloaded_UPD5 by right-clicking the links and using "Save target as...":
SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5.exe
SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5.001
SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5.002
SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5.003

4) Browse to the directory Downloaded_UPD5 in Windows explorer

5) Execute the file SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5.exe by double-clicking it

6) Where it says "Extract the package to folder", delete what ever is there an type C:\unzipped_UPD5

7) it should work this time because the .exe, .001, .002 and .003 files will be in the same directory, called Downloaded_UPD5.

PS: I just saw you are using Firefox, which puts all files into the Downloads directory, I think. Find each of these files and copy them to C:\Downloaded_UPD5\

Last edited: