MSG error after 10 years Kinetix 300 1769-L35E

Nortech

Hello,

We have had a machine running for the last 10 years. It has 2 x Kinetix 300 drives.

Around a year ago, one of the drives failed. We were able to upload the config, download to a replacement drive. Press play and all worked.

Last week, the other drive failed. We took an upload from this drive previously and we downloaded that to a replacement drive. When we put it in, we had an issue whereby the servo would home, but wouldn't index to the next position until the safety was dropped and reset.

After some digging, we found a MSG instruction in error. This MSG instruction moves '6' into the operation mode of the drive to ensure it's in indexing mode. It does this every time the drive needs to index. If the MSG errors out, a stop command is issued to the drive.

Now, it's worked like this for years and everything is exactly the same except that the replacement drive is a slightly newer HW and SW revision (But it's the same as the one we replaced a year ago).

The error on the MSG block is: 16#0010 Mode or State of module doesn't allow object to perform requested service.

The REALLY weird thing is that the code for the other servo works in the same way and it's corresponding MSG block is in error also! (Nothing at all has changed with this drive, config or code since we replaced it a year ago.)

We put a work-around in to toggle past this MSG block and the machine runs perfectly. However, when they power off the machine, the issue remains. In fact, It seems we need to send this MSG, allow it to error out, and then toggle around it in order to get going. Simply jumping this step from the beginning doesn't work.

Would anyone have any advice why code/config that has worked for years doesn't seem to like our replacement drive of exactly the same P/N :confused:

Some photos to help. It's worth noting that there are various other MSG instructions working fine to both drives.

1.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG