Mts

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a temposonics transducer where the Red LED is flashing.
Missing (external) interrogation
Do you know what that means?

Diag.jpg

Do you have the MDT rod connected to a controller?

The controller sends an interrogation pulse every millisecond or so and waits for the return pulse. The controller measures the time between the interrogation and return pulse to compute the distance between the head and the magnet on the rod.

The controller sends an interrogation pulse every millisecond or so and waits for the return pulse...
I have the Tempo connected to a SLC 5/03, so no controller is involved. The MTS indicates the position of a hydraulic cylinder.
It was misbehaving a few weeks ago, but then started working OK.
It is once again giving a false high reading Pegging 10V.
I did not notice the blinking LED before, but perhaps it was there?
It is outputting 10V even if I pull the sensor completely out of the well.
I was hoping that there was some kind of reset.
I do not have a hand-held programmer.

Something is very wrong with the rod. Time to call MTS.
Thank-you,
I disconnected the Rexroth valve (VT-MACAS) summing card just to make sure that it wasn't the culprit, but that didn't affect any readings. I actually measure 9.97V
I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the MTS transducer.
I should have ordered a new Tempo a couple of weeks back when it first started acting up.
Oh well I have a new Sensor on order.

It turned out that the problem was with me, not the Temposonic.
I found out that the blinking LED means the Temposonic can see the magnet, but it is out of the setup range.
I didn't realize that it also gives a full voltage reading when out of range like this.
When I moved the cylinder up about a half an inch The red LED stopped flashing, and I started getting a good reading again.
The range of the temposonic transducer was right there at the bottom of the stroke of the cylinder.
With some adjustments the problem went away.
Thanks