Mulitiple MCCs connected to ControlLogix

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Our new member pdjegadeesan from the UAE has asked in a different-titled thread the following question, and I am creating a new thread for him to discuss the matter:

In one of my Project I have 8 numbers of MCC Panel, In this all panel have 40-Nos. of Motor Manager(825-MM)each panel, I want to control& Monitor all through DeviceNet communication.

All panels are not close to each other and are around 500-1000meters apart.

I want to integrate all this 8 panels into a single main control station.

I have some idea about this configuration, Please suggest me in this regard, my idea is:

Each MCC panel will have one 10-slot chassis with Ethernet Bridge Module to Interface with Main Control station, and 4Nos of DeviceNet Scanner Module to Control/aquire data from Motor Managers. and 1-set of EtherNet to Fibre Optic Converter to link this MCC Panel and Ethernet switch for all 8-panels. And One EtherNet Switch(Hub) to interface all 8Panels to Main Control Station.

I agree that using a higher-level network to link each MCC panel to the central controller is a good approach to this system.

Let's get some quantities clear:

Do you have 8 MCCs with 40 825-MM devices each, for a total of 320 motor monitors ?

Or do you have 8 MCCs with 40 825-MM devices total, so that each MCC has 5 motor monitors ?

You can use a 1756-ENBT module with one or more 1756-DNB modules in a ControlLogix chassis at each MCC. Because there will be a lot of multicast I/O traffic in this system, you definitely want a managed Ethernet switch like the N-Tron 500 or 900 series.

A variation of this approach is to use a 1788-EN2DN EtherNet/IP to DeviceNet bridge device. These are smaller and less expensive than a chassis and ENet/DNet modules, but of course you only get one scanner per location.

Tell us more about the application. I presume you're using a ControlLogix controller to run the overall system ?