Multiple HMI with ML1400

02js4130

Hi,

I've got a new project for a vacuum conveying system. We require to add another HMI to the existing system which will then feed 2 separate processes.

Currently there is a ML1200 with 1 comms port on there and 1 HMI Panel view 800 t4t.

Originally i thought add some AIC units to the existing ML1200 and then i would be able to have 2 HMI's ? is this correct?

I then realised i would need some more IO so then i thought about upgrading to a ML1400 so at least i would have more communication ports and could use ethernet for the 2 HMI's, and then realised i would need a similar device to the AIC but for ethernet? has anyone done this before?

Thank you

Fist I think the ML1400 is a poor choice for this project. They have already reached their end of life.
I think you would be better off looking at the Micro 800 series or Compact logix depending you I/O
As for the HMI I prefer to use a statndard touch screen computer develop he screens in NetStudio
For communication I like Simquest Ingear you only need one developer license for all your HMI’s
Just install on the windows computer I have application I connect to over the internet. I use the same HMI I wrote and installed on the local machine on my system here to monitor what going on and I ave the same control the local operator has. On a local network it just plug and play.

Originally i thought add some AIC units to the existing ML1200 and then i would be able to have 2 HMI's ? is this correct?

I then realised i would need some more IO so then i thought about upgrading to a ML1400 so at least i would have more communication ports and could use ethernet for the 2 HMI's, and then realised i would need a similar device to the AIC but for ethernet? has anyone done this before?

Thank you

You don't need anything special for sharing that ethernet connection, just a network switch.

ML1400 is active mature, but if there's an existing ML1200 then I think this is still a valid upgrade path, if this isn't something that needs to be there in 10+ years time without another upgrade happening. Very easy to convert the program in most cases.

Does the existing HMI support ethernet? If not, probably no worries, you have two serial ports with the 1400 as well as an ethernet one, so you can add the extra HMI as an ethernet device and leave the existing one as serial if need be.

GaryS
You are incorrect to assume that the ML1400 has reached its end of life. The ML1400 is Active Mature and should be around for some time.

The Micrologix PLC's that are discontinued are the ML1000, ML1500, ML1200 and ML1100.

Being that the OP has a ML1200, a ML1400 would be a perfect fit. The HMI's can communicate over Ethernet.

You don't need anything special for sharing that ethernet connection, just a network switch.

ML1400 is active mature, but if there's an existing ML1200 then I think this is still a valid upgrade path, if this isn't something that needs to be there in 10+ years time without another upgrade happening. Very easy to convert the program in most cases.

Does the existing HMI support ethernet? If not, probably no worries, you have two serial ports with the 1400 as well as an ethernet one, so you can add the extra HMI as an ethernet device and leave the existing one as serial if need be.

+1. Whenever I need to get a ML1000 or 1200 on Ethernet or expand the I/O, swapping in a 1400 is the easiest and most robust method that I've found.

Someone in a recent thread the past couple of days said that they were talking to someone at Rockwell, and while it's listed as Active Mature, the 1400 is supposed to be sticking around for a while.

Yes the 1400 is still listed as active for a while, the question is how do you define a while
Rockwell recently pulled 2 models of the MicroLogix controllers off the active list years early due to supply chain problems while they will try to keep the 1400 active for a while but will not guarantee for how long. That would again depend on the supply chain. Do you really want to build a new system or upgrade an existing system with a processor that may only be available for a few years depending on the supply chain. I would not recommend that to any of my clients if you have to change or upgrade the processor I would recommend upgrading to newer controller now rather than upgrading now and then in a year or so and doing it again. That just doesn’t make any sense to me. There is so much to be gained with a processor upgrade now.
One other thing, with using multiple HMI’s is that any stored data should be stored in the PLC so that all the HMI’s read and write to the same data.