My issue connecting to Micro830 PLC, in case you ever run into this.

JEngel86

I figured I’d share my story of a Micro830 that I was banging my head on the wall over in case anyone ever runs into a freak fluke like this. I was originally typing the first part of this out to ask for your help. However, by the Grace of God I was able to figure it out and thus rephrased my steps in past tense rather than present tense.

Here goes:
I bought some Micro810 and Micro830 processors from a few sellers on eBay to play around with and possibly use for Christmas lights, etc. Every one has worked except for this one Micro830. It was powering on and was going through its test, the power light would stay on and then the fault light would flash, around 2hz maybe. The fault light stayed on at the 2hz the entire time. I figured I could connect to the PLC and once connected I could look up the diagnostics for the fault, who knows, maybe an expansion card was missing that was in the hardware config. I could see the processor in RsLinx (via USB cable) and I was able to attempt to upload from it, upon which it gave me an error saying that the processor was password protected. In order to remove the password protection, I decided to do a firmware update with reset. I used ControlFlash to update the firmware to version 11 and it said that the update was successful. I then attempted an upload again and it was still asking for a password. I gave up and connected to the others that I hadn't tested yet.

I came back to it yesterday and I could still see the processor in RsLinx however CCW V13.00 wasn’t allowing me to attempt to upload from the PLC anymore with the same project that I had saved from a couple of days prior. When I would select the path in RsLinx to do the upload and parked on the processor, the “OK” button remained grayed out. After several attempts to both upload and download, removing the processor from RsLinx and plugging the USB back in, I gave up and created a new project. I ended up having to manually add the processor to the new project because when I clicked "Select existing device" it came back with an "Add Device" window containing an error that stated "The selected device '2080-LC30' is not supported.” However after creating the project I ran into the same issue again of RsLinx seeing the processor but not seeing it as something that I could connect to. At that point I noticed that the processor showed that it had firmware version 2.001 which I found weird because the factory sticker stated that it had revision 6.011.

I decided to try and update the firmware again. I selected the correct model of processor and version 11 again, the same as before. However when I clicked the button to start the update it came back stating that the catalog selection didn’t match the hardware that was connected and that it cancelled the update. I did this several times over and over again but was met with the same error. I clicked the more info button and it stated that the product type was 0x000E, the product code was 0x007B, and the product name was 2080-LC30. I decided to try a different model of processor from the catalog, hey, I was desperate at this point. The processor I was working with was catalog number 2080-LC30-16AWB/A. I worked my way up the list and met the same error, and then, all of a sudden it didn’t give me the error! I ended up having to select catalog number 2080-LC30-10QWB. It looked like the update took. I cycled power to the PLC and let it do its bootup tests. Lo and behold the fault light was gone! I created a new project and the automatic device selection worked this time. I opened RsLinx through CCW and noticed that unlike before where the device name was “2020-LC30” it was now showing that the device name was “2080-LC30-16AWB.” I was able to connect and download an empty project into it. At this point I was able to get it to go into run.

I’m guessing somehow the initial firmware update I did failed and somehow got the processor to think that it was a different model. Maybe it only showed the “2080-LC30” because that was the only part of the model number that was the same between actual and internally flashed? All I know is I hope I don’t ever see this again, and if I do I pray to God that I remember this eye screwing when and if it does happen again.

Has anyone ever seen an issue like this before?

Last edited:
Happened to me too! My company has a comprehensive Techconnect contract and I called them. Same thing though, flashed up the firmware, and it came back to the wrong PLC type. So a nice man at Techconnect told me the way that they fixed it is to look at what it thinks it is, try to flash it with that firmware, it'll fail, then flash with the correct firmware and it'll usually correct itself.

Happened to me too! My company has a comprehensive Techconnect contract and I called them. Same thing though, flashed up the firmware, and it came back to the wrong PLC type. So a nice man at Techconnect told me the way that they fixed it is to look at what it thinks it is, try to flash it with that firmware, it'll fail, then flash with the correct firmware and it'll usually correct itself.

So I guess it's not a super uncommon thing? What kind of hardware was it? Was it a Micro800 processor or an altogether different device?