NB to PLC World

raamakoti

NB in the PLC world and I would really appreciate help from the veterans in this domain. Today was a great day learned a ton about 525s.
Here is list of things I can do.
1. Upload/Download programs
2. Set up drivers in RSLinx classic to browse
3. Set up FTlinx directory
4. Create ME/SE HMIs.
5. Browse through ladder logic and make little sense of programs.
6. Configure Powerflex 525s
7. Configure and implement ThinManager.
8. Set up MSG instructions in newer PLCs

SLC500 really scares me and I have lot of these at my work place and sometimes I get few programs with no comments.

What is the best way I can up my game and take it to next level of troubleshooting and developing programs from scratch. I have a list of items from competency matrix from work but I am not sure in what order I should learn to speed up my learning curve.
I would really appreciate your help

since you are working, may i suggest the following.

pick a fairly simple machine.
watch it run.
ask the operator and mechanics questions about the machine.
look at the plc code and see if you can locate the inputs and outputs.
now look at the code and see if you can make it out.
when you are comfortable with this machine, try one a little harder.

For any given homework assignment or task at work, you must consider these instructions as the customers specifications.
1. read the specifications several times.
2. write down your understanding of what you read in a step by step fashion.
3. review what you wrote down and see if it makes since, modify if necessary.
4. Get with the mechanical designer and discuss the project openly and honestly. When your opinions differ in regards to an operation, discuss it, don't ignore it.
there must be a reason for a difference of opinion. modify your instructions and i/o to accommodate the mechanical design if possible. Mechanical design may have to be changed due to plc programming limitations.
YOU BOTH MUST be in agreement on all points of operation before going to step 5. you may have to modify/rewrite step 2 and 3 based on the discussion.
5. step through your notes again this time, you are the one following the instructions. In other words, you are the plc. Write down on paper the events you are doing.
For example, turn on hydraulic motor 1, write down hydraulic motor 1 on. If a sensor is needed, write that down.
6. continue through the instructions. When you turn off the motor, mark a line thru it.
7. go through your instructions with all the sensors, motor aux. contacts, outputs documented. Modify if necessary.
8. repeat step 6 until no changes are made.
9. Try to group your data words into some organized fashion. The more programs you write, the more organized you become
10. write the plc program using your notes in a step by step manner.
10A Over half way through writing the program you WILL realize a different/better way of doing something you are almost done writing
(or a new spec will require it) and you will completely rewrite it
10B It WILL happen more than once.
Note: 10A and 10B added to list. thanks Aabeck, member plctalk.net forum

11. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!! You may remember things today, but in 5 years and hundreds of programs later, you won't
remember, especially at 2 am, so DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. use easy to understand tags and rung comments.
12. MAINTENANCE is your best friend and your worst enemy.
if you work with them and find out what they can do, write the program where they can trouble shoot the program. they will be able to fix the problem and everyone will be happy.
BUT
if you write the program to where you are the only one who understands what is going on, maintenance can't fix the issue, the machine is down, production is down,
management hears about it, your boss hears about it, then you hear about it - rewrite the program or else. you get calls all hours of the day and night.
this still holds true, a machine can cost a billion dollars, but it's not worth 10 cents if maintenance cannot trouble shoot the issue and fix the issue.
everyone has their own style of programming and you must develop your own way as well.
13. when the customer is in your shop and brings maintenance, discuss things with them, let them see your code, be open.
if they make suggestions, write them down, don't ignore them. their ideas may save you days of programming.
14. install the program and leave in program mode if possible so you can to debug your i/o
15. when writing your instruction manual(s), use your notes from step 9. Use easy to understand English language. specify the i/o, timers, counters, outputs when possible.
this will help maintenance even more to see what is going on.
16. Question for you, when is a machine and plc the most dangerous and why?
When it’s first powered on – when power is first applied to a machine, you don’t know how things are wired.
When you energize the plc outputs, you don’t know how they are wired.
When the plc is put into run mode the first time, it will do what you told it to do, NOT what you wanted it to do.
17. debug the program.
Remember, the program will always do what you told it to do, NOT what you wanted it to do.
18. IF you can ask a what if this happens type of question, YOU MUST have an answer, EVEN IF its a 1 in a million chance. that what if situation will happen in the first 30 minutes of production runoff in front of the customer.

james

since you are working, may i suggest the following.
pick a fairly simple machine.
will happen in the first 30 minutes of production runoff in front of the customer.

james
Thank you @drbitboy - Those patterns are very useful. I have implemented couple of them yesterday.
Thank you James for your suggestions. I will develop a nice checklist out of it and keep it as reference until my comfort level increases with problems solving.
I work for a manufacturing company and too many hands were in the programs over last two decades or so.
They have accumulated lot of dead code, Little comments for Rungs or IOs. Tag names are motor1, swtich1 VFD & VFD_2 etc etc
Too many messaging between the PLCs. SLC500 are the worst offenders. On of the name of keeping it consistent they created too much copy paste of old programs and tweaked a few. There is a ton of overlap between the structured text and ladder.
So far some help from seniors is available, as this is my first year but I can't tap on the help in coming years, some will retire and others will say you have been here long enough.
My current task is to upgrade SE applications from V5 & 7 to V12. Next Upgrade old PLCs to Rockwell's latest 1756-L8x. Next step is to clean old mess and write a new code and implement PlantPax 5.0 and create standards.
I think at some point they will have to replace SLC500 as well.
I will learn a lot for sure, but just shear magnitude of task sometimes scares me death.