Is it possible to capture the video stream in PLC world?

Yashka

Hi All
I have a very simple logic with some light sensors and RFID reader, which are providing start and stop events for capturing some short video from cameras. I'd like to avoid using any computers because they will be used in a hard environment (railway).

So, the question - is it possible in principle to use PLC stuff only? Does anyone know of any such cases? Or I'll be forced to use some small industrial computer anyway.

Thanks in advance!

I suppose it likely depends on what PLC you plan to use. I can do what you describe with my PLC. Do you have a PLC in hand to use or are you looking for a PLC that could do what you describe?

I suppose it likely depends on what PLC you plan to use. I can do what you describe with my PLC. Do you have a PLC in hand to use or are you looking for a PLC that could do what you describe?
No. I'm asking about the possibility to do it using PLC but not SBC. Do you know such a PLC vendor?

I work on a welding robot machine that has a Keyence camera aimed at a specific part.

When the PLC sends a signal to the camera it records a snapshot and sends back a GOOD signal if the parts are all OK - specifically looking for threads inside a hole before the part is sent in to weld.

The PLC reads the GOOD signal and starts the cycle.

The photos are captured in the camera controller, and the camera does support video recording - I don't think ANY PLC is going to have enough memory to record video.

Look at Keyence and Beckhoff. Both have the option for fully integrated camera in the control system for video recording, still image capture, etc..

Last edited:

Yes, those will work. They are 'hard' industrial grade cameras. For your application you can probably go with one of their economy cameras. A lot depends on your budget of course. You asked for video capture in a PLC, so the Beckhoff and Keyence are both possible solutions for your query.

Yes, those will work. They are 'hard' industrial grade cameras. For your application you can probably go with one of their economy cameras. A lot depends on your budget of course. You asked for video capture in a PLC, so the Beckhoff and Keyence are both possible solutions for your query.

This is very close to what I'm looking for! Thank you so much!(y)🍻

This is very close to what I'm looking for! Thank you so much!(y)🍻

NP. The Beckhoff vision products are a fairly new line of products for them that they've added to their rather vast portfolio. Call or get in touch with Beckhoff for availability. Also, you should be aware that there are long lead times on a lot of products, especially anything related to PLCs, no vendors being exempt from that.